MTSPEER is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Editing Records

Hi,

I have created a form with the table I have created. It's from a survey, It has the person's name, number, address, etc. And also has the survey questions and comments on the form. I want to edit each individual form(theres 209 of them). Whenever I go to edit information on one of the forms, all the forms get changed to what I input on just one of them. Is there a way so i can edit each individual form?

Thanks

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Forms do not have/hold data. Forms are a view into a table/query (a query is like a virtual table - 2 or more related tables).
    290 forms seems excessive.

Care to explain in more detail? How many tables? Relationships? What the purpose of the forms are? Why 290 forms???

I just have one table. The company I worked for mailed out surveys and then the customers returned them. So my boss wanted me to put all of the data into a database and wanted them in a form. So each record has the customers name, address, number, and his/her survey answers. Is there a better way to do this? If so please inform me.

Windows XP Access 2000
    Is there a better way to do this?
    Hard to say without more info about your database.
    I would have at least 2 tables - one table for the customers name, address, number and at least one for the survey questions/answers. There are templates and info about setting up a survey database.

But why 290 forms? Are there 290 different surveys?
    What are the fields in the table?

1) To work the way you want, your form has to be bound to the individual records in the query. It sounds like you are updating either an unbound control or a control bound to something fixed, so it looks like your update is happening to all the records. The alternative -- that your single update to your form is actually updating every record -- doesn't sound likely, given your current level of experience.

2) Each time you are about to try something new, back up your database, so you don't lose anything. Once you have a method working, make that single update to your real database and back it up again. Rinse, repeat.

If you want to create a fake version of your database (user name Mickey Mouse etc), then post it, we can give better feedback.

How would you combine two tables into one form then? and not 209 different surveys. 209 customers. They each have their results. The Fields are Name, Address, Phone Number, Date Mailed, Date Received, and each survey question and answer.

Im sorry I'm new to this, I don't really understand what your trying to say Dal. I haven't put any queries into this database just put the data in and created a form.

Windows XP Access 2000
    By using a query. But that depends on having a good (read normalized) table structure.

You only enter the customer info one time and that name is linked (related) to the survey answers. That is the power of a relational database. Could you post some survey questions and answers (or a screen shot of a form)?

Windows XP Access 2000
    BTW, here are some guidelines on creating a database. (Following these will help to reduce headaches)
    http://access.mvps.org/access/tencommandments.htm (See #3 about using spaces in object names)

"Name" is a reserved word in Access and shouldn't be used as object names. Here is a list of reserved words:
    http://allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html

I will send it when I get to work tomorrow. And thanks for the links!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.