sevanty7 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Question Interesting Report Idea

Hello

I currently have a form in which if you type anything in the textbox and hit the search button it brings up and relative results in a report. It has been requested to me that on each result of the report have a button beside the result that when clicked it opens it up and displays more information that deals with the record.
    You may be wondering "Hey, why don't you just put all the information on the report in the first place?!??" Well unfortunately the way the information within the database was given to me there are duplicate records that have to be kept because even though they are duplicates the duplicates do have different information as there are two primary tables with somewhat similar records although each table has different fields needed in the search results if that makes any sense....

Anyway I'm just wondering if it is possible to somehow have a button on each individual search result that opens into possibly another report with more information then the inital report haha..

Thanks for any ideas fellow databasers

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Sure. You can use this method:

http://www.baldyweb.com/wherecondition.htm

but note that the only way it will work is if the report is opened in Report view. Won't work in Print Preview.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

I'm kinda confused on what exactly Me.ControlName is.
    For example the inital search brings the results into areport and one of the fields in the report is "Description" so based on the code you gave me I have

DoCmd.OpenReport "rptadvanceddescription", , , "Description = '" & Me.ControlName & "'"

It would make sense to me to use the Description field to then bring up more information pertaining to the record based off of the inital search the client did by searching by a related search.
    So after the client entered the description it brings up related descriptions and then from that report they can open another form and view the record with that description but other fields that are with that record but not shown on the inital report.

Windows XP Access 2007
    From the link "ControlName is the name of the control on the current form that contains the value to be shown on the second form". In other words, the textbox or other control with the value to filter the report. Typically a key field, but could be anything.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Okay so i've never even used VBA code other then copying and pasting stuff from forums, what i understand is this
    DoCmd.OpenReport "srchdescriptionsadvanced", , , "Description = '" & Me.Description & "'"

which currently when i click the button and run the event pocedure above, a small window pops up that says its printing and then opens up my printing software..

Windows XP Access 2007
    Look in VBA help at OpenReport; there's an argument you can use to control that.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

AlexHedley is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Interesting Report Idea

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.