Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DeathByData is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Two unbound boxes not updating in table

Hi,
    I am currently using a form for reviews about businesses in the state. I have two unbound text boxes for the simple fact that keying in what county in the state and then selecting a specific place of business in each county was better served in a drop down with the places of business being limited by county. I have more fields on the form, but they are all bound and are working properly when the form is saved/closed. The only problem I am having is the two combo boxes values are not being saved to the table they need to to properly relate to the other data being entered. I have tried altering the after update properties of the form, but I am not sure what I did wrong but it did not work, it didn't give me an error but my fields were still blank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have searched forum after forum for what I seem to be overlooking and have yet to find it.
    Please let me know if you need further information.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Require code to save values from unbound comboboxes. Why save the county and state values? Just save the place of business ID and the related county and state info can always be retrieved in query that joins tables.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I apologize, the two combo boxes are county and Place of business the data is stored only for one state so there is no criteria for that at all. I cannot get the county or place of business selected in the combo box in the form to populate into the table. The combo boxes are both related to a table designated just for counties and place of service and its a completely different table that they need to be populating.

rzw0wr is offline I will always be a newbie
    I have two unbound text boxes for the simple fact that keying in what county in the state and then selecting a specific place of business in each county was better served in a drop down with the places of business being limited by county.
    Let's see if I understand correctly.You enter data into 2 text boxes and select data from 1 combo box.
    The you state:
    The only problem I am having is the two combo boxes values are not being saved to the table they need to to properly relate to the other data being entered.
    So I am completely confused.
    First, combo boxes, usually get their data from a table or query. Meaning that the data is stored already.
    If you are referring to your text boxes and calling them combo boxes then I would like to see your tables.

Dale

June7 is offline VIP
    Am also confused. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I apologize for the confusion. It is two combo boxes, one for county and one for Place of business. When a county is selected from the first drop down, it populates the Places of Business into the next drop down that only match the criteria of the county selected. I am currently not working on the computer that has my database stored on it, if you still need it I will attempt to upload it tomorrow. There are multiple tables in this database but there are three that concern this question. There is one table storing the unique values of county(which populates the combo box for county)(dd_unique_counties), a table storing Places of Business and their related counties(dd_site_name), and then the table that I would like to store the information for date of review, county, Place of Business, etc(tbl_review). I cannot get county or Place of Business to populate into the table (tbl_review).

I see you have a 64 bit Access.
    I don't think I can help you by looking at your database.
    Mine is 32 bit and I don't think they are compatible.

Dale

June7 is offline VIP
    We can probably open the db but any 64-bit specific code will error.

I will try to get the database uploaded a little later today, I have to go through and change some of the business specific values.

Here is the database as requested. It was saved last in access 2010 32 bit in hopes that you could open it without too many errors.IssueInput.zip

What is the name of the form(s) you are having problems with?

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by rzw0wr View Post
    What is the name of the form(s) you are having problems with?

Dale

I'm sorry the form is Frm_issue_input

The problem is that the field "County" is not in the recordset of the form.
    I don't think any of the code in the After event is needed.
    You have named your combo box County however that is NOT the same as the field in the tbl_review.

Your tables could use some normalizing.

I could get the the data you want into the table using DAO.
    This could cause you mountains of problems later.
    I would have to have a great deal more information.
    It would be a lot easier for you in the long run to fix your tables.

Once you start forcing data into an UN-normalized table with DAO it never seems to stop.

Dale

I have no problem with changing the name of the combo box county to the same as the one in the tbl_review, but the after update event on the county c/o box is used to requery the locations in the next drop down without it changing the county while in the same record doesn't work.
    I'm new to access I was assigned this as a learning project to be sent into production and have only been able to rely on books and forums for help so I'm not sure of all the correct terms to use.

The problem is that the field "County" is not in the recordset of the form.
    You need to insert the field "County into the underlying form recordset.
    Not just put the name County on the form.

Your form recordset is a query in the data source of the form.
    You need to find a way to add "County" to that query.

Dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.