pbouk is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2010 64bit

Combo box error message

Hi there,

I have a combo box on my form that is working fine, except when a user types in a contact name that is not in the combo list, it does not clear the user's entry or part entry, instead I get a confusing error message. So if a user types in Johnso and there is no Johnson in the list, the word Johnso stays there and I get a "type mismatch" message. It clears after a user types in a word that is in the list though. I'm not sure how to clear the combo in the first instance. Do i need to add something to this:

On Error GoTo Combo202_AfterUpdate_Err

Ideally I'd prefer to be able to create my own error message, and have the combo clear itself.

Thanks.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Do you have LimitToList property set to Yes?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Do you have LimitToList property set to Yes?
    Yes, I do have it set to yes.

June7 is offline VIP
    If I enter item not in list I get error message: The text you entered isn't an item in the list....

If Johnson is in list and I enter Johnso, the box fills in Johnson becaue of AutoExpand property set to yes.

Regardless, cannot replicate your issue. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

EDIT: Correction, I found a form with a combobox acting weird. It is letting me put anything into the control regardless of properties. I am baffled by this.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks for your reply. I can't send on my database, but I think if I clarify this will make sense.

Yes, I do get the other message that "its not in the list" which is fine. What I'd like though, is to for the user to get that message, and then for the combo to clear the name that is not in the list. Does that make sense? So the user can try another name or whatever. Right now they have to delete it themselves and that can get annoying.

I'm occasionally getting a "type mismatch" message too, but I'm not sure why. I think I'll be able to solve that myself though once I fix the above.

thanks again.

June7 is offline VIP

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.