Kelsod is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Automatically Creating an Invoice

I have a database that I will use for invoicing, but I would like it to automatically create an invoice for customers based on parameters set for that customer (e.g., monthly, biweekly, etc.). I have tables containing the customer information, the item they are being billing, the price, etc. I want to be able to have access automatically create the invoices and add them onto the invoice table each month. Maybe there is a better way, but I thought that if I created a query for all people that are billed biweekly and all people that are billed monthly, that I could run the queries when applicable and then somehow write a macro that would go through the list of customers and add each of them to the Invoice table and add an autonumber. That way I could click run query, run macro, and then do my invoicing. I don't know if that is the way to go or not. So I'm looking for two things. If that is the way to go then I have no idea what kind of a macro I need and am looking for advice, if not, is there a better suggestion on how to create the invoices?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What exactly are you billing? Is this like a rental or membership database and the customers have a fixed amount to be billed each month? Yes, I expect can automate but without knowing details of database structure, can't be specific. I expect will involve code that runs INSERT SELECT sql action.

Review:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.12).aspx
    http://www.blueclaw-db.com/accessque...nsert_into.htm
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Kelsod is offline Novice
    It is a housing database. Each house has a different price associated with it. So I have a tblRenters with RenterID, last name, first name, current house (which is a primary key from the houses table), and Payment Terms. Then a tblHouse which has houseID, address info, and rent. I've created an invoice table with an autonumber that I'm hoping will populate. Then I have my queries that I've done based on whether they are billed Monthly or Biweekly. I don't know if I'm on the right track or if this is the best option. Thanks for your help!!!!

June7 is online now VIP
    Did the references help? Attempt code and post for analysis if you still have issues.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Kelsod is offline Novice
    Okay I have never created a Macro in my life so bare with me. I don't really understand the brackets either so I just guessed based on the examples. Also, In the invoice table the first column in the table is the autonumber so I didn't include it, because I thought that's what the site had said. Do I just post this into the module section. I really am clueless, but I'm loving trying to figure it all out.

Inset Into Invoice [(RenterID[, Last Name[, FirstName[, CurrentHouse[, City[, State[, Zip[, Payment Terms[, Rent]]]]]]]])] SELECT [Monthly][(RenterID[, Last Name[, FirstName[, CurrentHouse[, City[, State[, Zip[, Payment Terms[, Rent]]]]]]]])] FROM Monthly

June7 is online now VIP
    I don't use macros, only VBA. In VBA would be:

CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO Invoice(RenterID, Last Name, FirstName, CurrentHouse, City, State, Zip, [Payment Terms], Rent) SELECT MonthlyRenterID, Last Name, FirstName, CurrentHouse, City, State, Zip, [Payment Terms], Rent FROM Monthly"

The trick is figuring out what event to put code in. Could be a button Click. Select [Event Procedure] in the event property then click the ellipses (...) to open the VBA editor, type (or copy/paste) code.

Also, probably should not be saving all that renter info into Invoice table. Just save the renter ID and the rent amount and maybe the house ID (because their unit and/or rent could change in the future).

The [] are needed when names have spaces or special characters/punctuation (underscore is exception) or are reserved words.

Kelsod is offline Novice
    Thank you so much for your help.

Kelsod is offline Novice
    I was on vacation until today, but I'm back at it now. I'm afraid I might be in way over my head. I'm a bit confused about how to get it all to work. Somehow I need to get a due date onto the invoice. I'm looking for the right way. The best way. Would it be to create a form where I could choose from either the biweekly query or the monthly and then set the date due and click a button that says Create Invoices? Any other ideas?

June7 is online now VIP
    That sounds reasonable.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.