Moridan is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Question Next Problem: Edit Previous updates

So I thought I had everything polished for my database when my boss threw a curve ball at me.

What I have: Simple database for collecting weekly updates of work being accomplished by several groups of personnel. A person would select which project they are working on, enter their ID, then enter in their update. Simple as cake.

The wrinkle: So what if several people were working on the same project and you didn't want to make duplicate entries. How do you make it so someone can look at previous entries for a given project?

What I was thinking: So far I have come up with adding a sub-table, but I am having trouble getting it to work properly. Is there a way to populate the sub-table with updates from the past week, once the Project has been selected at the top of the form? When I was experimenting with it, I could select a project (combo-box based upon a table of Projects), switch to Design view then back to Form view, then it would populate with the data. Is there some code I could use to initiate this refresh on the proper event? And have it for one weeks of updates.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Beetle is offline Unrelatable
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What's your current table structure? You have a many-to-many relationship Person and Project, so you need a third table to manage the relationship. It is in this join table where you would likely track the history of updates to a project, but we would need to know your current table structure before more specifics could be offered.

Basic layout: I am working with Access 2007 and have a simple table structure: Branch -> Mission -> Projects -> Status Update. I have multiple Branches, multiple Missions within each Branch, and multiple Projects for each Mission. Users enter data into a form that directly feeds the Status Update table.

What my boss wants now is when the users are entering the information on the Status Update form, they can see any other updates that have already been made within the last week so that they don't put in duplicate entries. I built a subform that is populated by a query, but I cant get the subform to update without switching from Form to Design and back to Form Views. The Status Update form is laid out simply with the user selecting the Project they are making an update for, their ID, and the Update itself. I also have it built so that it displays the current date when an Update is made.

So it boils down to:
    1) Somehow display the proper information on the subform
    2) Format this data so that only the last week from the current day is displayed.

Thanks again!

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Try adding Me!MySubForm.Repaint or Me!MySubForm.Requery to your Combo Box's After Update Event (where MySubForm is the name of the Subform Control in the main Form).

You'll probably need to use .Requery, but try .Repaint first (less overhead because it's not re-requesting Records from the database).

Excellent! Thanks a lot (again).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.