rwslippey is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Linking multple records to a single record...

Hello, I'm new to this forum, however I have a weird question, which I'm sure has come up before. I know this is something that should be organized correctly in the database side and want to get it right...

I have a small project with about 100 documents that must be printed and or saved, emailed. I created a template for the document and am able to import the data from my database. The basic idea is... Each document is formatted the same, the text differs between each document. All the data is pulled from one table and put into the document. Additional information is pulled from another table. This information included data of who the specific document applies to (names if you will).

What I'm trying to do is figure out how to put in the DB that their are multiple names that apply to the document.

So say Doc1 applies to sara, joe, and larry.

I need to build the document from the document text in the table, and then insert the names and details from the personnel table for Sara, Joe and Larry.

2nd less important question is, I'm currently using mail merge to product the document layout, which is very specific. Is it possible to create a form with the data I need to keep everything in access?

Thanks for the help....

Looking forward to your replies.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You can build forms and reports to produce this output. Not really enough info for us to be specific. What data determines that sara, joe, and larry should be reported together?

If you want to provide db for anlaysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

rwslippey is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    You can build forms and reports to produce this output. Not really enough info for us to be specific. What data determines that sara, joe, and larry should be reported together?

If you want to provide db for anlaysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Sorry for the delay in my reply and thank you for your reply...

Somewhere in the DB I'll need to store who should be referenced on what doc. That's kind of what I'm asking...

Basically I'll need to be able to have a user input document variables (data that'll change on an otherwise static document)

Then I'll need to be able to produce (print) the document with the added information and the names of personnel assigned to the documents.

Hopfully at the end of this I'll be able to provide and easy way to change the assignments...

Think of it as a business owner/boss assigning additional tasks or assignments to employees. Some employees will have multiple assignments and assignments will always have multiple employees assigned to them... Their just has to be a formal document outputting the data.

thanks again

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.