justphilip2003 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Switchboard removal problem

I have been struggling with a problem that popped up when I added a switchboard to my database, the query associated with the Forms either do not execute or malfunction. So I have decided to remove the switchboard, get back to a solidly working db that I can put into production and resolve the malfunction in a later release. I deleted the Switchboard Form and the Switchboard Table from the db, but I still get the Switchboard displayed above the Forms when toggling between Form View and the Event Building area. I suspect that I need to delete something else but I do not know what. The once working Forms still malfunction. Is there a module associated with Switchboard logic that I need to remove like perhaps modOpenSaveFile, [ Code courtesy of:
    Microsoft Access 95 How-To Ken Getz and Paul Litwin Waite Group Press, 1996]. Since I have been rustling with this db since the early stages of Access, I have forgotten why this module is in the db and weither or not it is needed. So the question here is what more do I need to do to remove Switchboard logic? TIA Phil

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Never liked, never used switchboard. If you want to provide db for analysis, will try to figure out. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Debug_Beginner_NoSwBd.accdb This is a copy from which the Switchboard (SW) has bee removed (?). I do not like what is happening with this SW. I am curious what type of menu Form do you use - Do you use a main Form filled with buttons to load other Forms? I saw an example of this a while back but I could never relocate it when I wanted to use it. I have so many technique questions, like. 1) A button to use for entering a completed form instead of using the scroll bar to advance to a new record, with auto cursor relocation to first entry point, 2) inserting scroll bar on a Form Note box that has a memo table source. Things you probably only learn from experience. TIA Phil

Just a quick question, I have three old, no longer needed db objects in the "Advance/Manage attachments" area that should be deleted - I could not do so. How is it done? TIA Phil

June7 is offline VIP
    I usually use a form with only buttons on it as a 'MainMenu'. In one project, the MainMenu offers choices like Manage Samples, Administration, Cost Reporting, Tools, Historical Data, Quit.

All you describe can be done.

I am not seeing any switchboard stuff in the db you posted. Not seeing the modOpenSaveFile procedure you referenced.

What are the objects you want deleted? Should be able to simply select and delete. What happens when you try? They don't seem to be in the db you posted.

What is Advance/Manage attachments area?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

My db was to large to upload so I extracted the components of the malfunctioning Form. Since you can not find any residual Switchboard logic, I must assume I errantly tweaked this form into not working. Basically it does not find/return any data requested through the comboBox selection. On the "MainMenu" subject, what code would you use to execute a query, for example I've used the following:
    DoCmd.OpenForm"Gallery", , , , , acDialog ‘ opens Form
    DoCmd.OpenReport"Finished Carvings", , , , , acDialog ‘ writes report, I will explore the preview before and selective writing (need a pause before printing a large report)
    DoCmd.OpenQuery"List Stock", , , , , acDialog ‘does not exist, pitty this does not work, it was so easy! LOL (How to look up solution? What should my key word be? ) As always, thanks for your response. Phil

June7 is offline VIP
    Did you run Compact & Repair? Zip the file, 2mb zip allowed. If still too large can upload to a fileshare site such as Box.com and post link to the file.

The form DataEntry property is set to Yes. This prevents display of existing records. Change the setting to No.

You might not like hearing this from me again but I still recommend using the ControlSource property of Image control instead of code to set Picture property (unless you need backwards compatibility). These would be the edits to accomplish:

1. set the ControlSource property to: =GetPath() & "\Beginner_Pics\" & [BC_JPEG_ID] & ".jpg"

2. delete the code concerning Picture property

I very rarely use code to open a query. I open forms and reports based on queries. What's wrong with the OpenQuery method? It doesn't have the same arguments as OpenForm/OpenReport but it does work. What do you want?

There may be light at the end of the tunnel of my not understanding (1). You've been saying, for the object ImgStock set its ControlSource property to "= GetPath() & "\Beginner_Pics\" & BC_JPEG_ID & ".jpg""! Sorry if I seem dimwitted; my math background kept me pondering what was on the left of the "="! Will do! On the "Beginner Pictures Form" do you see the reason why the query is either not invoked or doesn't deliver when the ComboBox entry is completed? I will revisit my doCmd references and Open Query. Thanks Phil

June7 is offline VIP
    The left side of = is the control, it is implied because the expression is in that control's property. This is also the case for textbox - can have an expression to calculate a value.

See comment in previous post:

The form DataEntry property is set to Yes. This prevents display of existing records. Change the setting to No.

I understand perfectly now, I was concentrating to much on event procedure coding. Also I found the correct query code and I now am in the happy Menu Form Land. As you might have detected, I am having fun! Thanks for your help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.