amerifax is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Link image files to Access table

I'm using Access 2013. I have a directory on my hard drive that contains hundreds of image files. The name of the image file matches a field in the Access table, which are unique. I would like to match those files to the unique number in the table and create a link in a field. How would I go about this.

Bob

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The field is a text type? It has just the image file name, not the full path? Use an Image control and set its ControlSource property to the image path and the field with name. Example:

="C:\Images\" & [fieldname]
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I was able to load the file names into a table. Both tables have a matching field value. I would like the matching field value moved to the second table as an attachment. Table "A" & table "B" have a field "Wi-Seal". Table. "B" also has a attachment field called "WI-Image". I need to move the value in A->WI-Seal to B->WI-Seal as an attachment. The attachment field name is WI-Image
    "A" or AX-ORG is in T:\AX-Scan\AX-ORG.accdb
    "B" or Permit.accdb is in t:\permit\permit.acddb

Bob

June7 is offline VIP
    You want to embed images into table? Review http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-...cess-2007.aspx

How big do you expect the db to get? Saving files, especially images, into table can cause file size to grow quickly. Access has a 2gb size limit.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ouch! That is killer news. My project contains fourteen tables. Presently, and might eventually have up to twenty. They all have a dependency on the data entry and should be linked. Of course, if I have to make drastic changes. I can do some cutting. at present, all of the fifteen tables are in one database that totals 1 GB. If I left everything as it is and with expansion over the next several years the database should be less than 1.5 GB. I am presently porting everything over from visual dBase. I know that if need be I could consider SQL or something else within a year or two. But presently my company is recovering from a very devastating ID theft. And the person that did the theft was also the programmer which I counted on in every way. So I am kind of cutting corners to pull things together and I was hoping access might be the lesser of two evils. Access or Visual dBase.

So if there is a two gig limit would that be on the table or the database, entire project. I can also tell you that I have been working with Microsoft, hand-in-hand, try to resolve an issue with my database files. It's not unusual to come up with an error message telling me that I have a memory or storage issue. I get the message when I sometimes like changing a field size by one or two characters. I also get it. When I try to add an additional field. Microsoft is still working with me on the problem, but it sure does not look hopeful. My problem is I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. So yes I am a bit worried about the two gig limit.

Bob

PS I thought that the attachment would be nothing more than that, a path to the file and therefore not creating the overhead of the image itself.

June7 is offline VIP
    2gb limit is on the entire db file. File can also grow dramatically due to design edits. Run Compact & Repair periodically and always after design edits.

The Attachment field type is intended to actually hold file(s) within table. Use a text field to hold path strings.

Microsoft gave me some incorrect information. Putting my data into a field makes the conversion that much easier. Would I be right to that I can create some kind of of button on my form that will take a simple click to open up my image, field value.
    Bob

June7 is offline VIP
    You want to open image within a form or report or in an image program like MS Office Picture Manager?

pokecell is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    i might be a noob , but why dont you try to upload it at flickr & just put the url of the image, the problem is that u will always have to be online but well xD is just a solution, i made it in excel :P

definition: a knob is a person that doesn't take the time to respond to someone's indecision. Thank God you're not.

the volume is over 300,000 images. As far as sharing that is a good idea , but a bit impractical.

Bob

The images are for one basic use. When I review a record and want to get to a particular image. I want to just click in seat on the screen. I would say that happens, maybe 5 to 10% of my time in the records.
    Bob

June7 is offline VIP
    If you want to display images in form or report then use Image control as suggested earlier. If you want to display images (and other files) outside the db in another application, review http://allenbrowne.com/func-GoHyperlink.html

Thanks. Perfect solution for my evaluation of my needs.
    Bob

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.