slimjen is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2007

export report

All, Using 2010. I am working on a database that was created in 2003. I created a form with a button to export a report to the users desktop in a folder name "Reports". Both the user and myself have access 2010 running on a win 7 machine. When I click the button; the code runs as expected and exports the report in the folder. When the user clicks the button, they get an error :"...can't save the output data to the file you've selected." Here's the code:
    Code:
    Private Sub Export_QA_Report_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_Export_QA_Report_Click
    Dim reportname As String
    Dim theFilePath As String
    reportname = "rptQAReport"
    theFilePath = "C:\Documents and Settings\" & Environ("UserName") & "\Desktop\Reports\"
    theFilePath = theFilePath & reportname & "_" & Format(Date, "yyyy-mm-dd") & ".xls"

DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, reportname, acFormatXLS, theFilePath, True
    MsgBox "Look on your desktop for the report."

Exit_Export_QA_Report_Click:
        Exit Sub
    Err_Export_QA_Report_Click:
        MsgBox Err.Description
        Resume Exit_Export_QA_Report_Click

End Sub
    Why can't the users run it and I can?
    Thanks

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Per this line:
    Code:
    theFilePath = "C:\Documents and Settings\" & Environ("UserName") & "\Desktop\Reports\"
    it looks like it is looking for a specific file path to place the file in. Make sure that the user having problems has such a file path on their computer (especially the Desktop\Reports subdirectory found after their username).

Windows XP Access 2007
    Just found out that users do not have access to their Doc and Settings. How can I code it so it appears on their destop w/ or w/o a folder i.e. "reports". They do have access to "My Computer". Thanks

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I would recommend picking some common shared drive you all have access to.
    Or, another thing I have done before is to create a one-record table that stores these values, and they create a form of it so that users can change the settings themselves to a directory that they have access to.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I tried the shared drive approach but still no joy. I do remember something similar to giving the users the option where to save but don't remember the code. ???

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Its really quite simple. Just create a table that hold the export directory location, and then create a Form based on that table where the users can enter it in directory.
    I usually create the one record first, then change the Form property to not allow any additions or deletions and getting rid of all navigation buttons, to help ensure there will always be only exactly one record in the table.

I then place a "Run" command button on Form, which runs Export, incorporating the value they entered in to the Export Directory text box. So in your VBA code, this line:
    Code:
    might be replaced with something that looks like this:
    Code:
    theFilePath = Me.txtExportDirectory
    where txtExportDirectory is the name of the Text Box on the Form.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Oh. This is not what I remembered. I was thinking when outputing the report; it pop ups the save dialog to prompt the users to save the report in excel format whereever they want. Forgot the code though to complete this

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You could do that too, though it may be a bit harder to program. You can do a Google Search and find that code on the internet. Here is one I used years ago" http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...f-50cc0f3d3d46

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.