SealM is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Report/Query Counting Null and Non_Null fields in a Group

I think this should be pretty easy, but it's eluding me. I'm creating a report that runs off of one table. The data comes from the "create e-mail" and polling feature in Access. I've been working on this database for a long time, and now I'm trying to make a silly little report to check the STATUS of replies as they are processed by Access.

The jist of the report needs to show how many records have something in them, vs. how many do not, for each person. Here's an example table and report:

The report for this table should be as follows:
    john has 3 of 4
    mary has 1 of 2
    fred has 0 of 1

There may have to be multiple queries, but I can't get a COUNT query to work that will count NULLS, or even a COUNT query that will count both NULL and NON-NULL fields. Thanks in advance for the help!

Mike

table: RAW
    person reply
    john yes
    john yes
    john no
    john
    mary
    mary maybe
    fred

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Don't do it in query. Do calcs in report textboxes. Use report Grouping & Sorting functionality with aggregate calcs in group and report footers. Create a grouping on Person then calcs in group footer:

=Count(*)
    =Sum(IIf(IsNull([reply]),1,0))
    =Sum(IIf(Not IsNull([reply]),1,0))
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

SealM is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Brilliant! Thanks again, June7. You've come through for me once more. It's a simple solution, and I can implement it now, since my skills in Access have been growing since I started my project. Six months ago I wouldn't have a clue what to do with your post. =)

Anyway, I was working with anothe solution, which was just to make a cross-tab query on answers and people. It came up with the same information that I could port right into a report. I think I will go with your solution and see how much flexibility that gives me in formatting the report. Thanks for the quick response!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Building report on crosstab is tricky because can be so dynamic. If the crosstab doesn't produce the same fields every time then the bound textboxes will show errors.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.