David618 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Expression for counting values in a field separated by commas...

I need help with an expression. I have a table that has a text field with values separated by commas (the field name is Cert_Otr and it contains certifications separated by commas - e.g., "PMP, CHC" or "RHIT, RN, CFE"). In my expression, I need it to count the number of those. So, for instance, if the value is "PMP, CHC" it needs to return "2" - or "RHIT, RN, CFE" it needs to return "3". If the field is empty it needs to return "0".

What's the best way to do this in a query using just the built in functions?

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I'm not TOTALLY certain - but I think you will have to create a VBA function - and create a loop to search through the string for the number of commas.
    You could use the InStr(PositionToSearchFrom, StringToSearch, "CharacterToFindInString") function to find the first comma - but to find ALL the commas - you will have to increment the position from which the InStr() function starts looking for subsequent commas in the field. That's why you need a Loop - and hence, a VBA function.
    You can call the VBA Function from your Query.
    It's not difficult. Let us know if you want to try it!

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking - something to count all of the commas. Thought it would be *easy* using built in functions, but discovering that it's not-so-easy via that method. It's one of those situations where you think, "surely there's a built-in function that can do this." Then you search and can't find anything, so I tabled it to deal with it later, now I'm having to address it!

Sure, I'm willing to give it a "college" try using some VBA, but I have to caution you that I'm pretty new to it. I'm not totally ignorant - I know how to get to the VBA editor!

Robeen is offline VIP
    Ok - try this:

1. Create a Function in your VBA Editor - like this:
    Code:
    Function CountCommas(Cert_OTR As String) As Integer
    CountCommas = 5
    End Function
    In your Query design view - create a new field like this:
    Commas: CountCommas([Cert_OTR])
    Run the Query & you'll see a 5 in every row of the Comma field. That's because the function is not counting anything yet. It is just returning the number 5 to the query.

That is just to give you the framework of how the query & Function work together.

Next, you can DO something with the Cert_OTR string that your Query passes to the Function:
    Code:
    Function CountCommas(Cert_OTR As String) As IntegerDim intPos As Integer, intPos2 as Integer, intCount as Integer

intPos1 = 1

intPos2 = InStr(intPos1, Cert_OTR, ",")
    CountCommas = intPos

End Function
    What you'll get from that is the position of the first comma in the string [if there is a comma].

Finally, you will need to add code to do a few other things in a loop:
    You could create a
    Do While intPos > 0
    'put all your code in here.
    'when there are no commas - the InStr function returns 0.
    Loop

1. Determine if there is anything at all in the string you are passing [use the Len() VBA function]. If so - set a 'counter' variable to 1.
    2. If there IS text in there - but you don't find a comma - does that mean there is only one value in the field? If so do a CountCommas = 1.
    3. If you DO find a comma:
    a. Increment the comma-counter.
    b. Increment intPos by 1 [intPos + 1]
    c. Loop around to run the InStr function again . . .

Hope this helps get you started - but let us know if you need more help!!
    This is just meant to give you something to start off with . . .

All the Best

June7 is online now VIP
    Try something like:

Function CountElements(strString As String) As Integer
    Dim aryA As Variant
    aryA = Split(strString)
    CountElements = UBound(aryA) + 1
    End Function

Now Call the Function

CountElements([fieldname])

Note that the function will error if [fieldname] is Null.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

amrut is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Does this helps ?
    1. Get length of your field without spaces : Len(Replace([Cert_Otr], " ", ""))
    2. Get length of your field without spaces and commas : Len(Replace(Replace([Cert_Otr], " ", ""), ",", ""))
    The subtraction of 1 and 2 above will give you number of commas. Your required count will be the result of subtraction +1 .Use your logic accordingly.

Robeen is offline VIP
    June,

This works [change to your code in red] to give a count of elements. Without this - the function errors for rows with no data [like you said] and returns 1 for fields WITH data.
    Code:
    Function CountElements(strString As String) As Integer
    Dim aryA As Variant
    aryA = Split(strString,",")
    CountElements = UBound(aryA) + 1
    End Function
    I like this a lot better than what I was suggesting! Thanks.

June7 is online now VIP
    My code worked when I tested, space is default separator. But good point to specify comma as spaces might not be consistent, take for granted that commas are. Null still will cause error.

Very clever amrut, I like. This can be done without VBA. However, will also error if [Cert_Otr] is Null.

SELECT *, Len(Replace([Cert_Otr], " ", "")) - Len(Replace(Replace([Cert_Otr], " ", ""), ",", "")) + 1 AS CountElements FROM tablename;
    Last edited by June7; 04-17-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

amrut is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    June,
    thanks for the compliment.
    The error on NULL value can be checked using an IIF(Len([Cert_Otr])=0,0,Len(Replace([Cert_Otr], " ", "")) - Len(Replace(Replace([Cert_Otr], " ", ""), ",", ""))+1) as CountElements

June7 is online now VIP
    Actually, that will still error because all parts of IIf must be able to evaluate, even if it is not the part returning result. Also, Len(Null) = Null which does not = 0 and condition fails. So handle possible Null with Nz.

IIF(Len(Nz([Cert_Otr],""))=0, 0, Len(Replace(Nz([Cert_Otr].""), " ", "")) - Len(Replace(Replace(Nz([Cert_Otr],""), " ", ""), ",", "")) + 1)
    Last edited by June7; 04-17-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Wow! Thanks everyone! I left for a meeting for a couple of hours and came back to be the beneficiary of all of these great ideas. I'll go back and try some of them and tell you which I like best - thank you!!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.