Khauck is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Deleted Column in Access

I am using Access 2013 and I had a column that was accidentally deleted a few months ago. Is there anyway to restore a deleted column?

If not, I have the majority of the data from that column saved in an excel spreadsheet with another column that is common to the access file and the excel file. Is there any way to take the data from excel and have it match up using the data from the common column?

Kevin

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Please tell us more about
    accidentally deleted
    Do you have a backup procedure? If not that should be a priority.

It very much depends on the application, but it may be possible to import the data into an access table.
    Then set up a Select query to see if these field values (the ones from Excel), make "sense/logically consistent" with the fields from your current Access table. You would join these tables on your common field.

Only you or a user with experience n the application and knowledgeable of the data could decide if there is enough consistency to continue.

If things are consistent, you could add the "accidentally deleted" field to your current Access table, then create an Update query to populate the newly added field.

Do some testing. Get a backup procedure in place (prevent this from happening again).
    Update queries can be quite unforgiving, so do a backup at the start, and read up and test UPDATE query/syntax and make sure you have selected the proper records to update.

Good luck.

PS - I don't have acc2013, but this approach should work unless you are dealing with web/sharepoint. I have no experience with 2013, Access web database, nor sharepoint.

Khauck is offline Novice
    We store the database on the network, I checked the shadow copy, but it only goes back to February, the column is still missing in Feb.

I've never performed a join before, is there any documentation you can lead me to to assist with this?

What I will do is copy and paste the data in a separately named column and run the query. I do the join after I run the query?

Are there any in-house backup features in Access?

Kevin

Khauck is offline Novice
    Multiple people use the database, and it must have been deleted, I can't see it. Unless there's a way to "hide" a column, but I doubt it. I recreated another column with the exact same name and it didn't complain that the column already exists. It's a database that gets used about once or twice a week so it went unnoticed for some time.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    People should not have direct access to Tables (or queries some say).
    In house back up procedures are those that you design/build that satisfy the needs of your company/organization.

Multiple people use the database - -do you have any standards - login Ids, passwords?

Try google for MSAccess backup procedures or search the forum.

see post #4 here for one technique

What exactly is your shadow copy? And what value is it if it's current to February????

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.