Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bubba61 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Multi-field Search

I'm a newbie to Access. So please excuse my
    ignorance. I have created a database for storing automotive wiring pigtails. I am trying to perform a search on the database using a basic query. I created a
    simple search form with 3 combo boxes that are tied to simple tables that limit choices for the end user. The
    query is using 2 tables, "Pigtail" table and a "Service Part Description" table.
    I am using 2 fields from the "Pigtail" table. The first field is "Cavity" which
    houses the number of cavities of the pigtail and the other field "Wire Type"

houses the type of wire terminal (gold, silver, tin etc). I am using the field
    "Service Part Description" from the "Service Part Description" table.
    This is what I am wanting to accomplish. I want the ability to search by any combination
    of these 3 fields. If any field is left empty, all information in that field
    will be considered for the search. For example, If I want to perform a search
    for a 4 cavity pigtail for an Oxygen Sensor, regardless of the wire type, I would choose '4' in the "Cavity"
    field and choose "Oxygen Sensor " in the "Service Part Description" field. I
    would leave the "Wire Type" field blank to match all wire types that match the
    other 2 field criteria. I have tried to use this simple criteria formula (Like
    "*" & [Forms]![Part Description Search]![Cavity] & "*") in the query box
    on each of the 3 fields (Changing the field name on each query) that I found on
    internet. However it is not working. Any
    ideas?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    See this: (one method)
    http://access.mvps.org/access/queries/qry0001.htm

Hint: try and not use spaces in object names. It will cause you headaches......
    "Service Part Description" could be "ServicePartDescription". If you MUST separate the words, use the underscore character:"Service_Part_Description"

also see:http://access.mvps.org/access/tencommandments.htm

Steve, Thanks for the reply and the advise. I did remove the spaces in all of my object names and changed the criteria formula, however it returns all of the data in each field. James

Windows XP Access 2000
    Would you post the SQL of the query?

SELECT Pigtail.Cavity, Pigtail.WireType, ServicePartDescription.ServicePartDescription, Pigtail.[MotorcraftP/N], Pigtail.[FordP/N], Pigtail.ReplacedBy
    FROM Pigtail LEFT JOIN ServicePartDescription ON Pigtail.ID = ServicePartDescription.McraftID
    WHERE (((Pigtail.Cavity)=[Forms]![PartDescriptionSearch]![Cavity]) AND ((Pigtail.WireType)=[Forms]![PartDescriptionSearch]![WireType]) AND ((ServicePartDescription.ServicePartDescription)=[Forms]![PartDescriptionSearch]![ServicePartDescription])) OR (([Forms]![PartDescriptionSearch]![Cavity] Is Null) AND ([Forms]![PartDescriptionSearch]![WireType] Is Null) AND ([Forms]![PartDescriptionSearch]![ServicePartDescription] Is Null)) OR (((Pigtail.ReplacedBy) Is Null));

Windows XP Access 2000
    Attached is an example mdb (A2000 format). I got tired of trying to get the Is Null to work.
    So I went the code route.

Also, I changed 3 field names - ID to Pigtail_ID, [MotorcraftP/N] to MotorcraftP_N and [FordP/N] to FordP_N
    Remember - no special characters.

When I created the tables, I made the fields "Cavity", "WireType", "MotorcraftP_N" and "FordP_N" all text types. If "Cavity" is a number type, the code will have to be changed.

Will this work for you??

Steve,
    Looks great! I think it will work just fine. Cavity is a number field. Can I change the code? Sorry for my ignorance, how do I incorporate it to my database?
    James

Windows XP Access 2000
    Can I change the code?
    Sure. Change the field type for Cavity to Integer. In the code, remove the single quotes in the cavity test.
    I have done this in the attached db.....

Sorry for my ignorance, how do I incorporate it to my database?
    Your table names/ field names would have to exactly match my example db. Import the query and the form.

The table is bound to the query.
    The query is linked to the tables.
    Last edited by ssanfu; 04-13-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Steve, Thanks buddy! I'll play around with it this weekend. James

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Steve, Pigtail and ServicePartDescription tables are joined on autonumber PK fields. That doesn't make sense to me.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2000
    @June, You are correct. (My bad ) I created the tables from the posted SQL and didn't look at the join.

@bubba61, Would you describe how the two tables are related? Or, if you would, post a zipped copy of your database? Just a few records, compact & repair, then zip it...

Edit: modified the db - 1 to many join
    Last edited by ssanfu; 04-13-2013 at 07:56 PM.

table relationships

Steve, June, The pigtail table contains all the info for the wiring pigtail such as motorcraft part number, ford part number, cavity, wire type etc. and the servicepartdescription table contains the related part description that it matches. I originally had a lot of this information in Excel spreadsheets which may have contributed to problem when I imported. I had originally just tried to link the motorcraft part number field, however it is a text field. Maybe I should have converted to a number field. Thanks for all the help and BTW I was successful in incorporating your search form. How do I attach the database? When I click on the attachments link, all I get is a empty box? James

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You opened the attachment manager? Do you see an Add Files button at upper right? Browse to file and upload.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Had to use my laptop. For some reason it wouldn't work on my desktop.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here are a couple of pictures to see how the picture function works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WPT101.jpg   WPT102.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.