MakaiKing0 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Cool Time Clock Code

Ok before you tell me to use a text box and [text_box] = Now() with a timer of 1 sec on my form.... Don't, wrong type of time clock. Lol

I'm actually just now learning Access for a project for work, took a couple days and read through Access 2010: The Missing Manual, great book very informative. Except when it comes to VBA. I'm a software developer by profession, so I fully understand software very quickly, but I need an information source to get a better grip on how things work. Never took the time to learn VBA. Trying to learn it now.

So enough back story, here's the first part of my project:

I'm making a time clock for clicking in and out of work for the associates of my site. I've seen several examples and many that look very crude. But I've opted to go with a very simplistic design for the moment. The clock will be setup on a form, obviously, with a ComboBox that contains the associates name. Under that will be a simple text field to enter a password. Then 3 little boxes, one for Clocking In, Clocking Out and on Break. Each with it's own little code. I know this isn't the most compact and probably not the most efficient but that was what was requested. So until I can change the higher up's minds that's what we're going with.

I have 2 tables, one called Associates and the other Times. The Associates table contains the following:
    - ID (Key)
    - Name (Text)
    - Privileges (Boolean)
    - Password (Number) - (A simple 4 digit pin)

The Times table contains:
    - ID (Key)
    - Associate_ID (Number)
    - TimeStamp (Date/Time)
    - Break (Text) - (Will contain one of 3 text values: Break, In, or Out; for another use later)

I currently have a 1-Many relationship set for the ID field of the Associates table to the Associate_ID field of the Times table.

Here is what I need:
    When the associate selects their name from the combo box and enters their password, the buttons check the Associates table and verifies that the correct name and password is used. If so then enter the selected associate's ID in the Associate_ID field, create a time stamp in the TimeStamp field and place it's corresponding value in the Break field (ie, Clock In = In, Clock Out = Out, Break = Break)

I would like this done completely in VBA, as much as I do enjoy the Macro builder, the purpose of this is to help me become more accustomed to VBA and learn the code, so seeing an example like this will help in figuring out VBA.

P.S. Any suggestions on a better design for this concept is also appreciated.

Thanks,
    Makai

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Can use DLookup to validate associate.

If IsNull(DLookup("Password","tablename","Associate_I D=" & Me.Associate_ID & " AND Password='" & Me.Password & "'") ) Then
    MsgBox "Invalid user/password."
    Else
    'do something like determine if this is In or Out or Break then close form
    End If

Why is tracking break necessary? Aren't breaks paid time?
    Do you want to rely on employee to correctly select In or Out?

Go one step at a time. Get the validation code working then move on to the time stamping.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I figured it had something to do with DLookup....

Tracking of breaks was a request by my employers, thus it is necessary.

I don't think that it's necessary to rely on the employee to correctly select in or out. That can be setup as a single button that simply provides a time stamp I suppose and then for later reports and such I can use some sort of equation to determine everything else. The Break setting could be changed to a simple Boolean that states whether the stamp was for a break or not....

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Using calculation later to determine the In and Out pairs daily could fail in cases where employee checks In but never checks out or checks out and never returns.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I'm actually working on a Timeclock App myself!

Originally, I went with a table setup similar to yours, however, after putting in some data and trying to generate Reports off of it, I decided to make a few changes to the Times Table (in mine, I call it the Timeclock Table):

Timeclock Table:
    TCEntryID - Autonumber, PK
    TCUserID - Long Integer, FK (to Users.UserID), Required
    TCDateIn - Date/Time, Formatted as Short Date, Required
    TCTimeIn - Date/Time, Formatted as Long Time, Required
    TCDateOut - Date/Dime, Formatted as Short Date, Not Required
    TCTimeOut - Date/Time, Formatted as Long Time, Not Required
    TCModUserID - Long Integer, Not Required
    TCModTimestamp - Date/Time, Not Required

Basically, this gives me a "clock in" and "clock out" Field for each Record, making it much easier to calculate hours worked and to modify if, say, an employee forgot to clock in/out. And it makes it easier to generate the various "hours worked" Reports.

Also, instead of having a username/password setup, I just assign a (random) PIN to each user that they use to log entries. Its much easier (and quicker) to type and people (my users at least) are more used to keeping a PIN secret than a password so they're less likely to share it with others.

The VBA of my clock in/out button is as follows:
    Code:
    Private Sub Button_Enter_Click()
      On Error GoTo Error_Button_Enter_Click

DoCmd.Hourglass True

Dim db1 As DAO.Database

Dim rstLoginAttempts As DAO.Recordset
      Dim rstTimeclock As DAO.Recordset
      Dim rstUsers As DAO.Recordset

Dim boolRst As Boolean
      Dim dteNow As Date
      Dim nbrUserID As Long

Set db1 = CurrentDb()

Set rstLoginAttempts = db1.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM LoginAttempts WHERE False", dbOpenDynaset)
      Set rstUsers = db1.OpenRecordset("SELECT [UserID] FROM Users WHERE [UserPIN]='" & Me!PIN & "'", dbOpenForwardOnly)

dteNow = fGetServerTime() ' Get the current time from the local Domain Controller (to prevent a user from changing their local time if they're late)

With rstLoginAttempts
        .AddNew
        !AttemptDate = Format(dteNow, "Short Date")
        !AttemptTime = Format(dteNow, "Long Time")
        !AttemptSysUser = Get_Username() ' Get Domain user currently logged on to workstation
        !AttemptSysWorkstation = Get_Hostname() ' Get workstation's WINS name
        .Update
      End With

If rstUsers.RecordCount = 0 Then
        ' If the PIN entered doesn't match that of any users
        MsgBox "Incorrect PIN entered. Please try again."

Me!PIN.SetFocus
      Else
        ' If a valid PIN has been entered

' Search for a timeclock entry for the user with no clock-out time
        Set rstTimeclock = db1.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM Timeclock WHERE [TCUserID]=" & rstUsers("UserID") & " AND [TCDateOut] Is Null AND [TCTimeOut] Is Null", dbOpenDynaset, dbSeeChanges)
        boolRst = True

If rstTimeclock.RecordCount = 0 Then
          ' If an entry with no clock-out time IS NOT found, create a new clock-in entry
          With rstTimeclock
            .AddNew
            !TCUserID = rstUsers("UserID")
            !TCDateIn = Format(dteNow, "Short Date")
            !TCTimeIn = Format(dteNow, "Long Time")
            .Update
          End With

MsgBox "Clocked in at " & Format(dteNow, "h:mm AMPM") & "."
        Else
          ' If a clock-in entry is found, add a corresponding clock-out entry by filling in the two blank fields in the Record
          With rstTimeclock
            .Edit
            !TCDateOut = Format(dteNow, "Short Date")
            !TCTimeOut = Format(dteNow, "Long Time")
            .Update
          End With

MsgBox "Clocked out at " & Format(dteNow, "h:mm AMPM") & "."
        End If

' Reset the Form for the next user/entry
        Me!PIN.SetFocus
        Me.PIN = vbNullString
      End If

Function_Closing:
      On Error Resume Next

DoCmd.Hourglass False

If boolRst = True Then
        boolRst = False

rstTimeclock.Close
        Set rstTimeclock = Nothing
      End If

rstLoginAttempts.Close
      Set rstLoginAttempts = Nothing

rstUsers.Close
      Set rstUsers = Nothing

Set db1 = Nothing

On Error GoTo 0

Exit Sub

Error_Button_Enter_Click:
      ' If there's an error, save it to the database for debugging purposes
      Log_Error Err.Number, Err.Description, nbrUserID, "frmTimeclock", "Button_Enter_Click", nbrUserID & ";" & Now()

' Alert the user of an error
      MsgBox "Unable to clock in/out. Please contact your Systems Administrator."

Resume Function_Closing
    End Sub
    I'm currently working on adding encryption support so I can secure the PINs. It's a pain though, because about half of the locations are running Access 2000 which doesn't natively support the Cryptographic API :/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timeclock.jpg  

Rawb is offline Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Using calculation later to determine the In and Out pairs daily could fail in cases where employee checks In but never checks out or checks out and never returns.
    That was one of the problems I ran into when generating my Reports (and thus why I changed my Table design).

With my current design, you can filter out items where the employee never clocked out by just looking for Records where [TCDateOut] Is Not Null. You can also query who's currently logged in (or who forgot to log out) by doing the opposite ([TCDateOut] Is Null).

One of the drawbacks with my setup though, is the inability to handle Breaks. We currently have to clock out for break and then clock back in afterwards.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Rawb,

Just looking at your form and wondering (re your Break issue) could you have another button

eg Break Start/Stop that could record the times and not force a full Clock Out/Clock In?

Yah, I wasn't sure until you confirmed it but I had a feeling that keeping individual records of each log in and out would become a hassle later on.... The reason I'm using an Associates table with username and pass(Pin #) is because there is going to be further functionality on top of just the time clock. But that's a story for another day. For the moment I simply want an efficient and working method to clock people in and out and insure their security. I'm using Microsoft Access 2010.

Also your setup doesn't allow for a Break log, but I suppose that can be integrated fairly easily. Although.... only half of your code makes sense to me.... lol I really do need to learn VBA

Rawb is offline Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by MakaiKing0 View Post
    Also your setup doesn't allow for a Break log, but I suppose that can be integrated fairly easily. Although.... only half of your code makes sense to me.... lol I really do need to learn VBA
    Yeah, I was thinking about it a little over the weekend and it would probably be possible to make a separate "Break" Table with a similar layout. Then you could just take the Timeclock Table values - Break Table values to figure hours.

Also, some of my code won't make sense because I'm using several custom functions that aren't explained. The fGetServerTime(), Get_UserID(), Get_Username(), and Get_Workstation() functions, as well as the Log_Error Sub are all custom VBA Code, not built-in Functions.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.