Jean S is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

convert old db to Access 2010

I have several databases created in early versions of Access (2000 maybe?) and I've now purchased 2010. When I bring up a form I get a message saying there is a missing or broken ref to utility.mda. Also, in old labels reports the fn Trim() causes an error, and if I try to create a new label report using the wizard provided, it uses Trim(), but then Trim() causes an error. Is there something I am missing? TIA - JS

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Look at your references (open a new module and look at the references for VB) if you still have a computer with the older version of MS Access look at the references there too and see what's missing. The trim function (as well as things like right(), left(), mid(), etc) relies on a specific reference being available and MS access 2007+ don't necessarily have the same default references available OR, particularly if you're converting an old database the reference may have changed names so it's not immediately apparent which one you need.

If you're not comfortable with that part what you can do is create a new database, build a simple table and see if your trim() function works in that. If it does, simply import all of your object from your old database into a newly created 2010 database and the references should be there to use.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.