ivpush33 is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

Multiple User - Split Database

I am thinking of using access at work to help share information. We have anywhere from 2-15 people that will have access at any given time. We will be using this to store 1) phone directories 2)Employe Contact info 3)Staff Information 4) documents and a few other key items. Each will have its own database. I was thinking of using the dbase splitting feature but am not completely clear on on it works.

If I understand it correctly, it creates a front end copy of the database which is distributed to each user, if the user is running off the front end copy, and makes a change or updates information is that change saved to the back end or only the front end copy?

I will need each user to be able to edit/change data in any of the data tables and those changes be available to any of the other users. So I don't know if splitting the database feature is what I want.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I think a split db is exactly what you need. Once the db has been split, each user should have a copy of the front end on their machine. The single back end should be in a shared folder on a sever. Each of the front ends will need to be linked to the single back end.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, frontend has forms, queries, reports, code. Tables are in backend and connected to frontend via link. Tthere can be some situations that require some tables in frontend - commonly referred to as 'temp' tables. These tables temporarily hold data for some processes and records are purged at completion. The temp tables are in frontend so users don't conflict when running the same process.

Here is how I manage split db http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...ue-323364.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.