creyc is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

How to create something of a 'maintenance log' with Access?

I'm trying to create a simple database to log maintenance activity at various sites as well as some very basic numerical information collected from each visit. Each site is known only by its numerical X, Y coordinates, and some have descriptions. There will be a small number of visits logged for each site (1-10), and the list of sites will increase or decrease as needed.

Fields: [xCoord],[yCoord],[siteDescription],[visitDate],[visitTime],[data1],[data2],[data3],[data4],[data5]

I started a table with columns for each of the above pieces of information, and a form for easy entering of new data, which is working great. Now I've got a few hundred records, and want to create a list of the data, I'm running into problems formatting the data.

I would like to see a list of sites (grouped by x, y coords) without duplicates. Broken down beside each site should be a list of the maintenance data, sorted by date.

What type of Object should I use to display information in this way? I can create a query that groups identical X and Y values together, but then it won't give a breakdown of individual records.

I've tried a Crosstab with some success, but because it's limited to only a single column header, and I have at least 5 columns of data, I need a separate crosstab for each column of data, which is cumbersome.

Anyone know a trick to get this done?

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    If you are looking at crosstabs, then this video may be helpful on how to do it without using the wizard.

http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f.../crosstab.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.