Cupps256 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Question Trying to import data into access from excel

HI i have a excel spreed sheet with 8000 entries that i would like to import into a access contacts data base to be able to simply search and add data under the notes area.

i have no idea how to do this i have tried but keep getting errors or i get it to import but it isnt in the correct format maybe or something :-(

is there someone who could help me i can email you the file so you can better under stand what im try to achieve if it would help

thanks in advance for any help recived

cheers

Cupps256

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You can attach file to post. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.

The import wizard fails?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

t. hagan is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    I assume that you are using the commands to import external data. Make sure that you saved the spreadsheet in a version of Excel that your version of Access is equipped to import automatically. You will have to do a little strategizing to determine what kind of data each column from Excel will be translated into. You will also do yourself some favors if you make sure that the names of the columns are located in the first row of the spreadsheet. Once you get it into Access, you may have to change the length of the columns and make other adjustments, so that it looks right. If the data is there, then it is just a matter of fine-tuning. You should be able to save your import steps, which will let refine your process. This can be a little tricky for anyone the first time you do it, especially if you have a lot of columns, but I think you may get it on your own with a little persistence.
    If not, could you be more specific? What version of Access are you running? (Access 2010 really automates this process.) How many columns and what types of data? What are the error messages and what is wrong with the formatting. (If you did get it to import, don't worry about the prior errors and concentrate on making it look like you want.)
    t. hagan

Thanks June 7 have attached i think and yes i think the import wizard gets to the end and fails ?? im very new at this sorry i cant give a better answer. its all our bussiness conatcs data and im stuffed if i cant get this into something a bit more manageable for searching and entering data for esisting clients and new :-( starting to stress me out )SVP Complete data.zip

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    You can attach file to post. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.

The import wizard fails?

T.Hagn

Sorry windows 7 runing Access2007

June7 is offline VIP
    I used the import wizard to import sheet into a new table. No errors. All data appears to be intact - 7999 records.

Sorry, cannot replicate issue.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Sorry June 7

I acutally downloaded the contacts database from Microsoft Site and was trying to import this spreed shhet into that so that i could use it from now on. i realise some colums and named diffrently and i have tryied to rename and import but no luck.

Does this make a bit more sense ??

reason being this is all our customer data and note we have done to jobs etc i would like to kkep this and be able to add to current and new customers and thought this Contatcs database lloked like a reasonable formatt\layout with our trying to create somethig as there is no way i would be able to do that.

i know thinking i could just import the data would be easy was a bit nieave :-(

attached is a copy of the new database i was trying to import NewSVPDataBase.zip

thanks for the help June 7 its appreciated

I used the import wizard to import sheet into a new table. No errors. All data appears to be intact - 7999 records.

Sorry, cannot replicate issue.

June7 is offline VIP
    So if changing the spreadsheet names doesn't work, change Access field names of new imported table.

I had no problem importing the spreadsheet into a new table in your database. Rename fields in new table. Delete old Contacts table. Rename new table as Contacts.

Hi June7

could you possibly imort the data into the table for me and attach it so i can down load and try the last three steps my self if i get stuck i may ask for more assistance

thanks

as for feild that we are not using from the new data can i just delete them ??

or should i just leave them be ???

really appriciate the help :-)

thanks again

So if changing the spreadsheet names doesn't work, change Access field names of new imported table.

I had no problem importing the spreadsheet into a new table in your database. Rename fields in new table. Delete old Contacts table. Rename new table as Contacts.

June7 is offline VIP
    This is such a simple import I would rather we figure out why you are having issues.

I had no problem importing with Access 2007 but Access 2010 doesn't like this file. I had to open the workbook in Excel and save as a xlsx file. Then the import worked with Access 2010.

Suggest you save the xls file as an xlsx and try the import again. t.hagan did make that suggestion back in post 3.

Here are the steps for the import.

1. open the import wizard, browse to the file, select import option, click OK

2. click Next

3. check First Row Contains Column Headings, click Next

4. click Next

5. check Let Access add primary key, click Next

6. click Finish

Sounds Good June7

ill give this a go and get back to you

thanks again for all your help im very thankful :-)

This is such a simple import I would rather we figure out why you are having issues.

I had no problem importing with Access 2007 but Access 2010 doesn't like this file. I had to open the workbook in Excel and save as a xlsx file. Then the import worked with Access 2010.

Suggest you save the xls file as an xlsx and try the import again. t.hagan did make that suggestion back in post 3.

Here are the steps for the import.

1. open the import wizard, browse to the file, select import option, click OK

2. click Next

3. check First Row Contains Column Headings, click Next

4. click Next

5. check Let Access add primary key, click Next

6. click Finish

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.