MaxP is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Converting a word document & Excell sheet into a usable Database

Hi.

I have been using a combination of Excell and Word to store details about magazines I collect. I use a form I made in Word as the layout is easier on the eye and to find information quickly, the Excel sheet as it is searchable for specific data (such as year or cover star for example).

I would like to combine the two into a usable access database if possible so that access stores all the data and lets me search it as I can in Excell (and maybe better) but also let's me display a single magazine entry in a nice format like word does.

My understanding is that I would create small Data-sections for things like the months, years, magazine titles, cover stars etc and these get linked to the main database which stores the magazine details. So rather than store "Glamour", "March", "2013" it would store (for example) 1,3,13 where 1=Glamour on the magazines titles, 3=March on the months section, 13=2013 on the years section. Thus it doesn't store more than it needs too, only references to other data which is called when needed.

Is that essentially correct?

I have not designed a database before and just want to see if I am on the right track. I gather the visual side of it (displaying the data) is down to a Form(?) and searching is down to a Query. Again am I understanding the basics right?

Thanks
    Andy

I have attached an example of the word form I use to give you an idea of what I want to create.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	11349

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, that is the concept. Whether or not you store 1 or Glamour as the key value is optional. Storing 1 can be an aggravation when building comboboxes. When the descriptor is short and sweet, I often prefer the text as the key. Just save 2013 instead of 13, no 'lookup' table needed. Your database will be small and memory is cheap these days. Go ahead and save number as month and chronological sorting will be easier.

Use tables or queries as the data source for forms and reports. You might find some of these tutorials of interest http://datapigtechnologies.com/AccessMain.htm
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.