hoolie is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

data fill in access like it does in excel - suggestions when you start to type

hello,
    i love this feature in excel. when you start to type, if there is an item in the column that matches the letters you typed so far, it brings that answer up as a suggestion and you can either keep typing if not what you wanted to enter OR press Enter and it will fill the rest in for you. when i googled it online - it was referred to as auto data fill.

when i tried looking this up for access - any search that dealt with autofill was not referring to what i am referring to above.
    i love access and use it for a variety of amazing things. though this seems quite elementary, i can not work out a way around it.
    your help is greatly appreciated.

kindly. jnr

SoftwareMatters is offline Access VBA Developers
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Where should the data be auto-filling from as Access is not layed out like Excel i.e. not in columns?
    Do you just want it to auto-fill with suggestions from the field you are typing in?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Combobox has AutoExpand property.

AutoExpand can be replicated in textbox but requires VBA code. This uses the Change property of the text box to examine its Text (not Value), store SelStart and SelLength, lookup up the nearest match, assign this as its Value, and then select the remaining characters again. http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144438
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.