Weedie44 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Trying to open an Access Database that I created on another computer

how do I assign permission to a database that I created on another computer?

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You shouldn't need permission. By default, you should be able to open it. So unless you purposely added some sort of security features, you should be able to open it.

You may have a problem if each computer has different versions of Access (i.e. you are trying to open a database created in Access 2010 with a computer that only has Access 2000), or if the other computer does not have Access at all.
    You could also have problems is both computers do not have all necessary drive mappings.
    Lastly, if your database uses VBA/Macros, be sure to enable those on the other computer as well.

If none of these seems to address the issue, please provide more details such as what versions of Access each computer has and what happens when you try to open it (are you getting some sort of error message? if so, what does it say?).

sherryb41 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    This applies to databases with the .mdb extension: If you have assigned permissions in the database, they are stored in the workgroup information file (WIF) which is by default called system.mdw (or system1.mdw). You can see which one it is using by going to tools/security/workgroup administrator. for each version of Access you use, you will have to 'join' that file. Or you may use a shortcut to make it join temporarily for that instance only. I hope this is the answer you were looking for. If per chance, permissions were not correctly set up (by removing default rights) then it will work without that file.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.