swavemeisterg is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Best way to input multiple entries with some of the same attributes?

I'm pretty new to access, so even the basics might need some explaining.

Basically, what I want to do is make a form by which users can easily input one or more entries for specimens. The specimens will have multiple attributes that should be able to carry over to all that are input at a given time. But I would like the serial numbers to change.

Example:

We receive 12 specimens from a supplier, all identical. I input the thickness, weight, material, etc, but I want the serial numbers to go from C17-001 to C17-012. Is there any way to input multiple entries like this?

Thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, and this will require VBA code. One method is to set the DefaultValue property of each control that you want to automatically populate. In the case of the serial number the default value will be an increment of the serial number of the current record. Use form's BeforeUpdate event to set the serial number default. This will call for string manipulation to break up the serial number, increment the number part and concatenate the parts. Can include other fields in that event or use each textbox AfterUpdate event. When user moves to new record row those fields should populate. Review http://access.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0012.htm

If you want all 12 records automatically created, that is a different issue.
    Last edited by June7; 02-17-2013 at 06:11 AM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.