bigern87 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Question Formatting an Access table after importing from Excel

I have some information in an Excel spreadsheet that I am trying to import and link into an Access table. The information in Excel is not formatted the way I would if I was creating the Excel file myself to link to Access. There are some extra rows and columns that are not needed in the Access database but I cannot get rid of these with the Import wizard. The import wizard gives me the option to use the first row as the title row or not, but that is the only option. My desired title row is in row 4 and the first column I need is in column C. Is there any way I can get this formatted to suit my Access needs?

Attached is the Excel spreadsheet that I am working with. Please let me know if you can help with this concern.
    Attached Files Attached Files

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    A few options to consider:

- Open up the Excel file and highlight the range you need to import/link and name it. Then, when you import/link the Excel data, you can specify to import/link the named range area only.

- Import everything, and use a delete query to delete the records you do not need.

- Similarly, if you are importing into a pre-defined table, you may be able to put some conditions on certain fields that will cause any records not meeting those criteria to drop.

bigern87 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I just named the range and that works great! My only concern now is that this Excel spreadsheet is refreshed every Monday. This is not going to affect the named range is it? If more employees are added, will those employees not be included?

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It depends on how new employees are added. If they are inserted inside of the named range, it show automatically grow and contain them all. If the new employees are added after the named range, they will not be. You could have your named range go down a few extra rows, so it can capture new names added in the future.

This of course assumes that when you say refreshed, you mean new names are added to the existing workbook. If a whole new Excel workbook file is created, obviously it won't have a named range.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.