jcwhite is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Changing multiple records

Hello, I am brand spankin' new here and looking for a little insight

I manage the warehouse for a small electrical contractor, and was wondering if there was a way via my databases to monitor the location of my tools. So I'll do my best to explain:

I currently have three independent databases, Tools, Location, Employees, with no relationships established
    The Primary Key of the tool database is a unique ID given out by me with tool class, manufacturer, and sequential number Ex. DRL-MW-05. My ultimate goal would be to use Access and a barcode scanner to update my tool records in the Tools DB, with a location from the Location DB.

A BC scanner is basically a keyboard, so my question would be, is it at all possible to scan multiple tools (basically enter a bunch of Primary key's) into a list, and then change all of their location's at once? Its a real pain to sit there and scroll through 800+ records to filter out the 10 I need to update.

I realize, I may need to clarify, but any help would be much appreciated.
    ~Jordan

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Possibly, with VBA code, maybe add each scanned code as an item in a listbox then in looping structure that reads each listbox item, write record to table.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jcwhite is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Yikes, I'm a little out of my league. Not only am I new here, but I am relatively new to access too.. Thanks though, that may mean something to me once I'm more educated lol

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Or could forget the listbox and write the scanned item directly to table. Scan into an unbound textbox then in the textbox AfterUpdate event, execute INSERT or UPDATE sql action. Example of INSERT with date, text, number datatypes:

CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO tablename(fieldname1, fieldname2, fieldname3) VALUES(#" & Me.textboxname1 & "#, '" & Me.textboxname2 & "', " & Me.textboxname3
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.