dr4ke is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Show result whether in two tables or not

Morning,

I have two tables (Table1 'MBXStats' & Table2 'DisconnectedMBXs'). In order to establish whether a mailbox is disconnected, the two tables are compared and if the 'displayname' appears in both tables it's disconnected. However, I want to be able to see all mailboxes (disconnected or not) with a statement that advises its status...

I.e. I wrote a SQL statement (below) which works fine if I 'show the table' in design view; but it only shows those mailboxes in the DisconnectedMBXs table. If I remove the table in design view, then all entries appear duplicated (only 1 user shows).

Code:
     IIf(Not IsNull([DisconnectedMBXs].[disconnectdate]),1,0)

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You should be able to get the results you want with a Query and an outer join. No IIF needed.

Not sure how a Outer Join would work? Surely if I try and do any type of join it will only provide the information that is in both tables...

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    For records in MBXStats and Not In DisconnectedMBXs
    Code:
    Select  mailboxId from MBXStats 
    where mailboxId Not In
     (Select mailboxId From DisconnectedMBXs)
    For records in both tables

Code:
    Select  mailboxId from MBXStats 
    where mailboxId  In
     (Select mailboxId From DisconnectedMBXs)
    You will have to use your own field names for mailboxId -- whatever you called in each of the tables.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by dr4ke View Post
    Not sure how a Outer Join would work? Surely if I try and do any type of join it will only provide the information that is in both tables...
    Outer Joins will show *all* the records in one table and only records in the other where the join field matches.

Thanks, I managed to get what I want:

First I brought both tables together

Code:
     SELECT *FROM allmailboxstats LEFT JOIN disconnectedmailboxes ON allmailboxstats.displayname=disconnectedmailboxes.displayname;
    Then I did the working out:

Code:
     SELECT FullQueryTest.allmailboxstats.ID, FullQueryTest.allmailboxstats.DisplayName, FullQueryTest.OU, OULookup.[Business Unit], FullQueryTest.maxsendsize, FullQueryTest.prohibitsendreceivequota, FullQueryTest.HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled, FullQueryTest.IsValid, FullQueryTest.DisconnectDate, FullQueryTest.DisconnectReason, IIf(IsNull(DisconnectDate) And ((maxsendsize)<>"0 B (0 bytes)") And ((HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled)=No),1,0) AS Active, IIf(IsNull(DisconnectDate) And ((maxsendsize)="0 B (0 bytes)"),1,0) AS Disabled, IIf(IsNull(DisconnectDate) And ((allmailboxstats.HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled)=Yes) And ((allmailboxstats.maxsendsize)<>"0 B (0 bytes)"),1,0) AS Suspended, IIf(Not IsNull(DisconnectDate) And (((DisconnectDate)>=Now()-210) AND ((IsValid)=Yes)),1,0) AS Deleted
    FROM (FullQueryTest INNER JOIN MailboxSizes ON FullQueryTest.prohibitsendreceivequota=MailboxSizes.Mailboxes) INNER JOIN OULookup ON FullQueryTest.OU=OULookup.OU;
    The only problem is that there are duplicates, but I assume that's because the displayname is duplicated in the second table so therefore shows up twice in the query?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.