Joopster is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Creating simple database

I am new to access and just want to do a couple what I believe to be simple things...

1. I want to have a combo list with employees name - they choose name and hit 'login'
    2. New form or located within initial form would have several text boxes where a part number could be entered via USB scanner
    3. User hits add record

That's all I need. Any good tutorials on where to start. I have played around but I am having some difficulty.

Thanks in advance.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    What are you having difficulty with? Getting the scanner data to pass into the textbox?

1. What is purpose of 'Login'? Do you need to record user ID with each record entry?

2. Might want a form/subform arrangement. Need to know more about your data structure.

3. Record is committed to table when form closed, move to another record, or by code to save.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Joopster is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    What are you having difficulty with? Getting the scanner data to pass into the textbox?

1. What is purpose of 'Login'? Do you need to record user ID with each record entry?

2. Might want a form/subform arrangement. Need to know more about your data structure.

3. Record is committed to table when form closed, move to another record, or by code to save.
    Need login to identify who is removing part - accountability, so I need it to save the user along with the part number, time stamp etc. in the table so that it can be reviewed by attendant at a later date.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Login form is common topic in forum. Search forum or google. Start with https://www.accessforums.net/access/...ure-31683.html

Do you trust users not to pick someone else from a dropdown list? Do you want username with password for login?

Use DefaultValue property of textbox to facilitate input of current data as a 'timestamp'.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.