brianfromla is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Unhappy database not saving my changes!

Hello. Since I've typed this out twice, and both times it didn't post, I'm not going to go into as much detail this time. I'll just get down to it.

I have a static database that has no programming in it. I made it as a static database with the intention of doing more with it as I learn more about Access. It has about 241 records and 31 fields in it. For some reason, it has doesn't want to save my most recent changes. I will make changes to it and save it, and then come back into it at a later date or time, and those changes won'tbe there. I've had my company's Access expert look at it, and he couldn't figure it out. His suggestion was to just make one change at a time, save it, close it, and come back into it. That's simply not acceptable, because sometimes I have a lot of changes to make at a time and that would take forever. Also, this database, like everything else we do at my company, is saved to a Sharepoint location. I had brought that up as a possible culprit, but our Access guy told me he didn't believe Sharepoint was the problem.

I can't post the database, or any part of it here, because it's very sensitive information, but I'm hoping someone might have a solution... or even an attempt at a solution!

Thanks!

Yay I finally got my post to work!!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Design changes aren't saved? Structure is the issue here. You can make a copy and delete the data.

Are you sure you have Read/Write permissions for the folder the db is in? What happens if you copy the db to C:/ root and edit/save there?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

stmoong is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Not much experience with using Sharepoint, but could it be some security related settings in Sharepoint? Do you need to commit the changes to Sharepoint or need someone else to approve the changes you made?

June7 is online now VIP
    Sorry, I have no experience with Sharepoint. I have worked with web databases posted on forum and was able to edit them.

You might try posting question on a Sharepoint forum.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

brianfromla is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks for the replies. I'll follow up the best I can.

June7:
    Not design changes, but changes such as adding new records, updating information in records or fields, etc. When I asked the Access guy about my permissions in the folder, he said he didn't think that was an issue. And it does make sense, because I'm able to work on other things in the Sharepoint folders, such as Excel spreadsheets, Word documents, etc. But I will try copying to my C: drive just to see.

Stan:
    No one needs to approve them, and as with everything else I do on Sharepoint, it's supposed to be just a matter of working and saving files as usual. I really don't know the advantages of using Sharepoint, because I treat the folders just like anything else I would do through Windows Explorer. I don't use the Sharepoint interface for anything. Everything we do is in Sharepoint, and this is the first time I've ever had these problems.

I will go a step further to say that I have attempted to rebuild this database using data that I had exported to Excel, and it continues to do the same thing. I would keep this data in an Excel spreadsheet, but like I said previously, I do plan to utilize the database more as I learn more about Access. Plus, what's the point in having Access if you can't use it? You know, I don't remember having any of these problems in Access 2007.

June7 is online now VIP
    What do you mean 'everything we do is in Sharepoint'? I thought Sharepoint was for deployment of web database. As I said, no direct experience with Sharepoint.

stmoong is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    So, you're not using Access web database through Sharepoint but as a document repository? If that's the case, it's really not necessary to use Sharepoint.

If you can update the record on your local drive, then, it's probably something to do with Sharepoint.

You might want to debug and step through your code to see what is going on. The only thing I could think of is maybe a transaction was opened but not committed. See if there is any error generated, but the code might have ignored - the use of On Error Resume Next or DoCmd.SetWarnings False.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.