gg80 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Report Opens Faster on 2nd try

I have a report that is sourced to several queries. It also contains a sub report sourced to another query. All back end table data is on a server. It originally took 12-14 seconds to open the report. I was able to improve time with techiques learned from this and other sites. Time is now down to 4-5 seconds. However, I note that if I close the report, then click the form button to open the same report a 2nd time, the time goes down to just a couple of seconds.

Is there someway to make the system act like that 2nd click all the time? i suspect that I will have to learn about arrays-true? Using A2003. XP on server and compuiters. Any help much appreciated.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    No idea why it runs faster the second time. Why do you think need to learn about arrays?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

gg80 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Someone, with more savvy than I have, described arrays as a way of putting tables in memory as opposed to on the hard disk This speeds up searches as the system doesn't have go to a mechanical device to get data.

I assumed that once you have opened a report, something is hanging around in memory (array?), so the that next time you open that same object, the data is still in memory and quickly accessible. Whatever the reason, opening my report the 2nd time is much faster than the first time. I would love to know why.

I have since learned that arrays are only advantageous for limited situations. I will be learning more.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.