DariusD is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2000

calculations

I currently have an order item table that includes a quantity , price and a subtotal field. How do I get this calculations. I tried it two different way. first I tried building an expression in the subtotal field

=[OrderItems]![Product_Quantity]*[OrderItems]![product_Price]

This did not work. So I tried changing the Sub_total field in the OrderItems table to calculation then added the expression above, but got the following error
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	from 8.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	10511
    here is the form, How do i generate sub total, and then a total field at the bottom of form

Name:	form7.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	10512

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Firstly, calculations do not belong in tables. They are not stored values. They should be performed as needed in your form, query or report. Make sure that any control you use in a form to do the calculation is unbound to your tables. In your unbound control, create an expression

Here is an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_4xGIsmxA

DariusD is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2000
    OK I watched the video, and i noticed that he had a hourly rate, and hours, and then he had a column called service charge which was the total of the hourly rate, and hours. You instructed me that you should not have calculations in the table, but the video you pointed too did have calculation, Unless the person manually does the calculations and then inputs them into the table.. which doesn't make since to me. Not only that the video helps to sum up all the columns, but I need to know how to create the sub total.. which like in the video he had the following

column1 column2 sub total
    hourly rate hours surcharge

my table

quantity cost sub total

I need to sub total each item purchased and then at bottom have a total of the whole order.. this video helps me get a total of the whole order..How do i get the sub totals..?

Name:	form 10 video example.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	10518

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I think that you are confused by what is a table and what is not a table. The calculation was performed in a form. It was a continuous form. Additionally, the calculation was not stored in any table as it was calculated in an unbound control and calculated each time the form was opened.

We would need to do further analysis of your data to determine the best way to get sub totals. If you would like this, then upload a copy of your db with some sample data. Make sure to dummy up any confidential data. Run a compact and repair before uploading.

I don't have the time or inclination to try and recreate your db from scratch so this step is necessary to solve your issue.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.