Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

4 Selects, 1 Union

I have 4 queries each with the same amount of Ouput fields. 50k+ rows of data.

q1
    SELECT tblWIP_History.PartNumber, tblWIP_History.UnfinishedSerialNumber, tblWIP_History.Location, tblWIP_History.Qty, tblWIP_History.UnitCost, tblWIP_History.ExtendedCost, Format([TransactionDate],"Short Date") AS StartDate, Format([IsMadeDateTime],"Short Date") AS EndDate, tblWIP_History.LongDescription
    FROM tblWIP_History
    WHERE (((Len(Format([TransactionDate],"Short Date")))>3) AND ((Len(Format([IsMadeDateTime],"Short Date")))>3));

q2
    SELECT tblWIP.PartNumber, tblWIP.UnfinishedSerialNumber, tblWIP.Location, tblWIP.Qty, tblWIP.UnitCost, tblWIP.ExtendedCost, Format([TransactionDate],"Short Date") AS StartDate, Format(Now(),"Short Date") AS EndDate, tblWIP.LongDescription
    FROM tblWIP;

q3
    SELECT tblInventoryHistory.PartNumber, tblInventoryHistory.SerialNumber, tblInventoryHistory.Location, tblInventoryHistory.Qty, tblInventoryHistory.UnitTotalCost, tblInventoryHistory.ExtendedTotalCost, Format([TransactionDate],"Short Date") AS StartDate, Format([Ship_Date],"Short Date") AS EndDate, tblPartMaster.LongDescription
    FROM tblInventoryHistory INNER JOIN tblPartMaster ON tblInventoryHistory.PartNumber = tblPartMaster.PartNumber
    WHERE (((Len(Format([TransactionDate],"Short Date")))>1) AND ((Len(Format([Ship_Date],"Short Date")))>1) AND ((tblInventoryHistory.WasDeletedByAdj)=False));

q4
    SELECT tblInventoryCurrent.PartNumber, tblInventoryCurrent.SerialNumber, tblInventoryCurrent.Location, tblInventoryCurrent.Qty, tblInventoryCurrent.UnitTotalCost, tblInventoryCurrent.ExtendedTotalCost, Format([TransactionDate],"Short Date") AS StartDate, Format(Now(),"Short Date") AS EndDate, tblPartMaster.LongDescription
    FROM tblInventoryCurrent INNER JOIN tblPartMaster ON tblInventoryCurrent.PartNumber = tblPartMaster.PartNumber
    WHERE (((Len(Format([TransactionDate],"Short Date")))>1) AND ((Len(Format(Now(),"Short Date")))>1));

From here I use query that says

SELECT * FROM q1
    UNION
    SELECT * FROM q2
    UNION
    SELECT * FROM q3
    UNION
    SELECT * FROM q4

When I run any of the queries as they are, data appears as I want. When I run q3, I do not get any rows that are "WasDeletedByAdj" = true. However when I run the Union Query I do get values where WasDeletedByAdj=True. Even though the query the data comes from, says dont.

I have tried Union All, didn't see anything different.

Thoughts?

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Are you sure the record isn't coming from one of the other queries? You can add an alias field to let you know which query it's coming from:

SELECT *, "Q1" As SourceQuery FROM q1
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

The item only exists in tblInventoryHistory. Its pretty strange a problem, when I run q3 by itself and look at the datasheet, all is well.

I also tried just using the queries instead of the query names in the union. I got the same results.

It would be an easy Kludge, but I would rather not if you know what I mean.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Then I can't see how the UNION could pull a record that the individual query didn't. The ALL keyword deals with duplicates. Is it possible to post a db that exhibits the problem?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

I will see what I can come up with for an example db.

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Are you sure the record isn't coming from one of the other queries? You can add an alias field to let you know which query it's coming from:

SELECT *, "Q1" As SourceQuery FROM q1
    went over from scratch and indeed this was the problem.

Mind=blown

The item was in 2 places with both entries showing almost the same data that I was looking at. I got working now.

Thank you for the assistance pbaldy.

Windows XP Access 2007
    No problem; glad you sorted it out.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.