rwalker539 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Exclamation error message

I developed a database program in Access 2007 and when one of my users upgraded to Access 2010 he gets this message as the program loads; “your RIAS data management database or project contains a missing or broken reference to the file “MSCAL.OCX” version 7.0
    To ensure that your database or project works properly, you must fix this reference…". The database file is on a server and each user has 2007 except for this one guy who now has 2010 on their PCs.

What's up this, any ideals how to resolve thios issue.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I will give generic info. I don't off the cuff remember what is this MSCAL functionality. Assuming your 2010 user isn't getting this message every time he opens any db - then your specific db is saying "I need that reference".

But in your db go into vba, tools, and look at the references - and see if if this reference is displaying near the top and checked. If you can uncheck it - and if then your db works ok - then have your user use this new version of your db. And that's it. I see this often in older dbs that have been changed across time but still have old unnecessary references in them.

If that's not the case - or if your db doesn't function correctly without it - then you'll need to add the reference to his PC.

On the otherhand if his 2010 throws this message anytime he opens a generic 2007 db then it is missing from his upgrade/install and again you have to add the reference to his PC. This is something easily tested by essentially sending him an 07 db with a single table or something simple.

If it comes down to adding the ref to his PC then you'll find plenty of Q/A on this topic.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction.

rwalker539 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Nothing worked, the problem with the program is that it after the error message the program locks up and the can not do anything, you have to Alt-cntr-del to shut it down. I took Access 07 and created a simple table database and forwarded it to the PC with the problem and Access 2010 opened it just fine. I use to know the steps or keys that you could press tthat would allow you launch the Access program and bypass the startup menu. Any ideals

stmoong is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Just to clarify, have you tried to do what NTC suggested - remove the reference from your project, then re-compile it and run it from your PC which is running Access 2007? Does the program function properly without referencing to the library?

If the above works, send him the new database without the reference, and see if he can run it.

On the other hand, if your program needs the library to work, then, you would need to check if he has the active x control on his PC. Easiest way is to open up the project in his PC (use shift-enter normally to bypass the program from loading), then from there, check the project reference from his PC.

Usually, you will not be able to compile the project from his PC if the reference is missing.

Once we established that, you can either install the activex control on his PC, or find another way to provide the functionality without using the activex control.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.