devxweb is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Lightbulb Updating tables from FORMS

Hey everyone, so I am a student and doing my British A levels and i have an exam in jan 2013 entirely on access...a full blown 10 hr continues paper..

So in this exam the main marks are on forms...what they ask you to do is that create a form that will automatically update the tables as in adding new customers and so...what i learnt on my own is that forms really depend on stuff like queries and macro and codes to execute actions so what i wana ask it that what should I use in my exam..as in should i use macros or queries to execute stuffs like add new records?? which one is easier to learn in this short notice? i dnt wana go for codes at all though i am an experienced programmer..

thanks

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Welcome to the forum!

that forms really depend on stuff like queries and macro and codes to execute actions
    A basic Access form, if bound to a table, does not need macros or code for the data to be updated. If you change the data in the form, it is changed in the underlying bound table. Now if you want something more than a basic form, then macros and/or code may be necessary (I prefer code over macros). As to queries, you can base your form on a query but if that query includes multiple tables (in one-to-many relationships), you may run into an issues in being able to add or update records. This site explains the conditions under which a query may yield a recordset that cannot be updated.

Quote Originally Posted by jzwp11 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

A basic Access form, if bound to a table, does not need macros or code for the data to be updated. If you change the data in the form, it is changed in the underlying bound table. Now if you want something more than a basic form, then macros and/or code may be necessary (I prefer code over macros). As to queries, you can base your form on a query but if that query includes multiple tables (in one-to-many relationships), you may run into an issues in being able to add or update records. This site explains the conditions under which a query may yield a recordset that cannot be updated.
    Thanks for the info..after reading that blog i think i am going to go for macros..this is because the questions normally tell you to provide a messagebox stating successful addition of data, check if field is empty and other stuff.. really no time to learn vb for developers.

Thank you...I think am gona go for macros because the questions usually requires us to show msgbox on successful adding to data, check if fields are not empty etc. Dnt really have time to learn vb for developers

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    I'll leave that choice to you. I have found code to be more versatile than macros; BTW, there is a utility in Access that will convert your macros to code if you ever want to delve into VBA in the future.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.