Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    brookierook is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Leaving the projectstatusID as a field in the projects table is OK as long as you just need to track the current status of each project. If you are interested in how long it takes a project to move from one status to another, then it would require a different structure. This call is up to you and the way your company does business. So what approach is in line with your business process?

No, it's fine as a one-to-one relationship. Each project manager keeps record of that and is held accountable separately.

You did not finish your thought on this field. Do you want to track which suppliers gave discounts for a project and how much of a discount? If so, then your current structure is insufficient to track multiple suppliers each with discounts (one project to many supplier providing discounts).

No, I do not need to track suppliers that gave discounts, so no worries on this one.

If the possibility exists and you need to track the PO #'s associated with the project, then you should take care of it in your structure now.

Alright, I think I have already done this with the PurchaseOrder and CostCentreBudgets tables?

If the budget amounts for a project are related to cost centers then the project table is not the appropriate place for the budget amount.

Ok, I will delete it from the Project Table

Can multiple groups of your company be associated with 1 project? If so, then the current structure is insufficient because you would have a one-to-many relationship.

No, only one group can be associated with a project.

Are there multiple key findings? If so, that describes a one-to-many relationship. Additionally, if it is a summary, a 255 character text field may not be sufficient.

No, this will just be a text box that they can communicate their findings in. It is for their reports and does not need to be tracked.

Are these "Local contacts" people? If there are more than one, that describes a one-to-many relationship which would require a related table not just a field in the projects table.

They are people but it is a fairly insignificant part of the project that I am not willing to waste my time on. They can type it in manually and it does not need to be tracked anyway.

Anything else before we start on queries and forms. Only if you have the time and the inclination, I feel like a bother!!!!!

Thanks again.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Alright, I think I have already done this with the PurchaseOrder and CostCentreBudgets tables?
    You have a field for the purchase order value but not the purchase order number. If you add that to the purchase order table then you can remove the PO field from the project table.

Other than that I think that you are ready to start on forms. As some basic guidance, I generally bind each form to a table. When you have a one-to-many relationship, the main form is bound to the table on the one side of the relationship. You would use a subform bound to the table that is on the many side of the relationship. Lookup values can be populated via combo box controls on the forms.

Quote Originally Posted by jzwp11 View Post
    . As some basic guidance, I generally bind each form to a table. When you have a one-to-many relationship, the main form is bound to the table on the one side of the relationship. You would use a subform bound to the table that is on the many side of the relationship. Lookup values can be populated via combo box controls on the forms.
    Ok, so if I am reading this correctly, I need to make and bind forms for tables that I will use for the main form and then put them on one form as subforms? Yikes, does that even make sense?

Also, will I be able to query combo-boxes? For example, if I have a combo box with my MR Managers in it will I be able to run a query for each manager that will bring up only the projects they are working on?

I'm sorry, I'm very lost on this part. This is really out of my zone but I have to do it. I'm really afraid I'm going to mess this up. I don't know how to create a user-friendly form that includes all of the things that I need. I may need to study up and watch some videos... I dunno. I don't even know where to begin!

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Crystal Long has a good website with some video tutorials. Here is a link to her site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.