acenumber5 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Help using Dmax as an OrderID counter...?

Hi!

I am trying to use the DMax function to create an incremental Order ID number in my Orders table.

VPD_Order_IDmax("VPD_Order_ID","OrdersMaster") +1

It works fine if I am importing one order at a time, but if I import multiple orders it tried to assign them all the same number. Any suggestions?

More info: I'm doing this in an Append Query in Access 2010. I have a table "Amazon_orders" that I append the new orders to an "Ordersmaster" table. I'm trying to create the incremental Order_ID in the Orders Master table. I tried using an Autonumber, but that....didn't work. I also sometimes have more than one item on an order, so I could have 2 rows with the same Order number.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Andrew

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You said you are importing orders? Importing from where? Might have to use VBA to save records and assign the Order number.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Importing from another table..
    Csv file -> amazonimporttable -> Ordersmaster table.

I'm using an append query to copy data from the amazonimporttable to the OrdersMaster table.

Do you know any examples of how to do this in VBA?

Thanks!

June7 is offline VIP
    So the import table does not have an order number? What distinguishes the orders in the imported data? If the import can include multiple items for each order, need another table 'OrderDetails'.

Code would be a VBA procedure that opens recordset of the import table, reads each record, writes data to tables Orders and OrderDetails, incrementing the OrderID. How much programming skill do you have?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi!
    Yes the imported table does have an Order-ID and an Order-Item-ID, but they are 20+ characters and contain "-"''s them. The same Order-ID can have multiple Order-Item-ID's if one order has more than one item on it.
    I need to create one that's 8 characters or less, which I use to send the orders to the distributor. 8 characters is the distributors data field requirement.

I have solid below average programming skills. I can usually modify VBA programs, but would be challenged to come up with it from scratch.
    Thank you!

June7 is offline VIP
    Here is some very rough 'air code' (typing on-the-fly, not tested). See what you can do with it.
    Code:
    Sub AppendOrders()
    Dim strOldOrderID
    Dim intNewOrderID
    Dim strOrderItemID
    Dim booFirst As Boolean
    Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
    Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
    rs.Open "SELECT * FROM Amazon_orders ORDER BY OrderID, OrderItemID;"
    strOldOrderID = rs!OrderID
    booFirst = True
    While Not rs.EOF
        If strOldOrderID = rs!OrderID Then
            If booFirst = True Then
                intNewOrderID = DMax("OrderID", "Orders") + 1
                CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO Orders(OrderID, CustomerID) VALUES(" & intNewOrderID & ", " & rs!CustomerID & ")"
                booFirst = False
            End If
            CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO OrderDetails(OrderID, OrderItemID) VALUES(" & intNewOrderID & ", " & rs!OrderItemID & ")"
            rs.MoveNext
        Else
            booFirst = True
            If Not rs.EOF Then strOldOrderID = rs!OrderID
        End If
    Wend
    End Sub
    If your OrderID in new table is not an integer but an alphanumeric structure, incrementing it will be a little more complicated. However, I just pictured a way this might be possible with queries. Want to provide a sample of the imported data? Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    Last edited by June7; 12-13-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Awesome! I will try it tonight and report back.

Thank you!

June7 is offline VIP
    I might have edited my last post after you first read it. See the comments after the code sample.

Be sure to do testing with copy of data.

Hey June7 -I'm in the middle of acquiring a small company, so I haven't had much time to work on this, but as soon as I do I'll report back. Thanks!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.