W.Chan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Autofill based on Autonumber Field?

Hi,

I am currently trying to build a small database and I am stuck with a small problem. I currently have a table for the list of customers and a table for transactions. I have set the CustomerID as a Autonumber and also as the primary key.

In the transaction table, I want to be able to put in the CustomerID which then populate the first and last number of the customer based from the table in list of clients.

I am not sure how to go about doing this and some guidance would very much be appreciated.

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The 'first and last number of the customer based from the table in list of clients' means nothing to me.

Are you doing data entry through forms? If you have a form bound to Transactions table, use a combobox to select customer for transaction record.

If you need more help, provide more info on data structure and form arrangement.

You could provide db for analysis. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Rod is offline Expert
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    If you haven't already done so, include in your transaction table the field CustomerID as a long number. You should now define the relationship between the CustomerID in the customer table and the CustomerID in the transaction table. If you don't know how to do this then repost and ask.

For any transaction you may now enter the customer id. As this is not necessarily the most helpful value it would be much better to select the customer name from a drop down list. This is achieved by using a combo (or list) box. I need to see your db to give you specific help.

P.S. June, we're tripping over each other again!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.