asidicman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Database interface

Dear xperts!
    I would like to create a DB with changeable interface languages (and according to it, the currencies)
    When a person open the DB, the program will ask him to select option which language will he work with and the DB shows only the caption with the selected language.
    How can I do that?

Thank for advice in advance!
    P.s. I'm newbie!

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't know how daunting of a task this would be.... But... There are a couple options. Probably not the best (read sig)
    So initially when the user opens the database, you will want a form to load asking what language to use. Or if not a form then a msgbox possibly.

What are you wanting to display in these other languages? Form elements, like buttons and such?

You could have the language form load on open, then depending on the answer change the values of these elements to the translated language. .value = "XXX"

If you would be able to post a copy of your DB, I'm sure users here would be able to take a look at it and come up with a solution for you.

OK, thanks
    I'll try to place my DB later.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I agree you could have an opening form where the user selects some preferences (language). The in a table or tables, depending on exactly what will be available in different languages you have a set up with something like the attached jpg.

Here there are several companies (Estabs) and there are various texts (Company Profile,Strategic Alliances, Company Market Sectors,..) and each of these was available in different languages (english, french).

If you are talking about the labels and field/controls, or error messages etc, then you would create similar tables and then select the appropriate lang and then tailor the Forms (titles, labels... based on the lang selected)

Just a few thoughts.

Good luck with your project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LangCode.jpg  

Dear all, here is what I need to build in access:
    In the attachment is the Excel format.
    Thank redbull and orange for replies!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows XP Access 2003
    Do you plan on a multiuser database?
    Do you work with MSAccess English version, or ????
    I have no experience with non Latin based languages, but there are many posters who have.

Since the exchange rate varies with time, is that an issue with your application? Do you plan to get the exchange rate via online source as necessary.(If so, see my post #6 at
    https://www.accessforums.net/queries...ery-28974.html)

I suggest you use standard language codes (iso639), currency codes(iso4217), etc. where possible (don't invent what already exists and is maintained)
    You may get get more focused advice.assistance by searching for msaccess internationalization.

There are probably some sample databases with various language support including Cyrillic (I did a few searches but haven't found anything yet).

Have you developed a data model (at any level) for your proposed database?
    Perhaps you could tell us more about the application.

Windows XP Access 2003

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Do you plan on a multiuser database?
    Do you work with MSAccess English version, or ???? - I work with English version at home and Russian version at work
    I have no experience with non Latin based languages, but there are many posters who have.

Since the exchange rate varies with time, is that an issue with your application? Do you plan to get the exchange rate via online source as necessary.(If so, see my post #6 at
    https://www.accessforums.net/queries...ery-28974.html)
    - I do not need to varies exchange rate with time. I want to set the rates at the opening of the project, the based currency is USD or EUR.

I suggest you use standard language codes (iso639), currency codes(iso4217), etc. where possible (don't invent what already exists and is maintained)
    You may get get more focused advice.assistance by searching for msaccess internationalization.
    Yes, that is a good idea. I did not know before!

There are probably some sample databases with various language support including Cyrillic (I did a few searches but haven't found anything yet).
    I think the Cyrillic is not a problem.

Have you developed a data model (at any level) for your proposed database? - No, I learn access in university and now want to develop it to implement in work.
    Perhaps you could tell us more about the application.
    - The fact is that, my application is just a budgeting model for the company. But the management/shareholders of the company are from many countries: Japan, Romania, Russia, Vietnam, Ukraine.... and each of them requires the budget in their language. I can do it in excel, like the posted simplified revenue model. But Excel takes long time to execute when you have about 60-100 sheets of data. And it is hard to check when there is an error in any cell.

I'll try to see your link, if any helpful information. Thank you!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.