Yensid is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

How to link/store relevant data together and be able to later use that information

1)

- I want to be able to create/pull a document number.
    - Prior to the document being released under an ECO we use dr1, dr2, dr3 etc for DRAFT 1, DRAFT 2... Under these circumstances I want to create/pull a document number as a dr1 (I do not need to record each additional draft rev).
    - When the document is going to be released using an ECO, I think I need a form for ECO creation.
    - On this form I need to at least record the ECO number, the person who is originating the ECO, the origination date, and then each document that will be included on the ECO with relevant information such as what is being changed on the document that requires a new revision and why we decided to make the change.
    - On our ECO's we've had from 1 document to 25 documents.

Maybe there is a better way (and the frmECO shown in the attached database does not reflect this idea yet) but I was thinking that I would have a main form where the ECO number, originator, and origination date was recorded; and then a popup form that would show up when selecting an "ADD DOCUMENT" button. On that popup form I'd enter document number and reason field information and then click "ADD" button. That would close the popup form and show the main form. On this main form I'd have a subform that would detail the document that was just added. If I needed to add an additional document I'd repeat the steps, and the subform would then show all the documents that have been added. When done, I'd select a "COMPLETE" button and all the information would be saved.

2) On my frmDocCreate I have a SAVE and CANCEL buttons. I'd like to get rid of the CLOSE button and just have the form close after selecting the SAVE or CANCEL button. How do I do that?

3) I am concerned/confused that I do not have the information linked properly. How could I go in and find out all the 'CD' type documents, their numbers, descriptions, who created them and when?

Well...I think that is a good enough chunk to deal with at the moment. I have more questions, but hopefully I will work through some of that with any information that is provided to get through above mentioned stuff.

Thank you in advance for any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Set up some test data for your tables; do some experimenting to ensure that you can get the data you need. if you have an issue, then adjust the model and retest.

Get your table structures with relationships set up and tested, before getting too deeply involved with Forms.

Yensid is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    For someone (me) who knows nothing about Access...that wasn't very helpful.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    What would you like --- I'm trying to be helpful, but I have no idea of what you do or do not know.

Post your database, and I'll take a look.
    There's no data in your tables so how can you see if any query will work.

Get your tables designed before you get into the forms.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.