Tim777 is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Post Is DLookup the Best Approach for This?

Here is what I am trying to achieve. This should be very simple. My apologies, I am learning and horrible with syntax.

I have a DB used to schedule daily repairs. I have a repair entry form with a combo box with a list of SlotIDs. Each SlotID is related to a timeslot. The user selects the SlotID and the timeslot is auto populated.

SlotID Timeslot
    O1 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
    O2 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
    O3
    O4
    OA All Day

The form also has a date. If an OA - All day event is scheduled then the user should be prevented from scheduling any other repairs.
    So, when the user attempts to enter a SlotID for a particular date, I want to check and see if there is an entry in the table for "OA" (All day) on that date. If OA is an entry for that day, then I want a message box to inform them and prevent them from entering any additional appointments on that day.

This is what I have but it doesn't work..

Code:
    Private Sub cmbSlotID_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim IDValue As String
    IDValue = DLookup("[SlotID]", "Data", "[SlotID] = 'OA'")
    If IDValue = "'OA'" And "[Start Date] = #" & Me.txtStart_Date & "#" Then
        MsgBox "In House Repairs are scheduled for all day. No time slots are available."
    End If
    End Sub
    Am I even close?

Thanks!!!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Why doesn't it work - error message, wrong results, nothing happens?

IDValue is declared as a string but if the DLookup doesn't find a matching value, the result is null and code should error because a string variable cannot be null. Also, the DLookup will return SlotID for any date that has OA code so also need criteria for the date.

Try:

If Not IsNull(DLookup("[SlotID]", "Data", "[SlotID] = 'OA' AND [Start Date]=#" & Me.txtStart_Date & "#")) Then
    MsgBox "In House Repairs are scheduled for all day. No time slots are available."
    End If

OR

If Nz(DLookup("[SlotID]", "Data", "[SlotID] = 'OA' AND [Start Date]=#" & Me.txtStart_Date & "#"),"") <> "" Then
    End If
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    If an OA - All day event is scheduled then the user should be prevented from scheduling any other repairs.
    So what happens if there are slots scheduled:
    Code:
    SlotID  Timeslot
    O1      10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
    O2      11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
    then someone tries to schedule:
    Code:
    OA  All Day
    ???
    Is that possible??

Tim777 is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Why doesn't it work - error message, wrong results, nothing happens?

IDValue is declared as a string but if the DLookup doesn't find a matching value, the result is null and code should error because a string variable cannot be null. Also, the DLookup will return SlotID for any date that has OA code so also need criteria for the date.

Try:

If Not IsNull(DLookup("[SlotID]", "Data", "[SlotID] = 'OA' AND [Start Date]=#" & Me.txtStart_Date & "#")) Then
    End If

OR

If Nz(DLookup("[SlotID]", "Data", "[SlotID] = 'OA' AND [Start Date]=#" & Me.txtStart_Date & "#"),"") <> "" Then
    End If
    June7,

Thank you very much! Very clear explanation. I tried your first suggestion and it works great. Before it did nothing. No errors, just didn't work.
    I think I understand why now.

Steve,

Yes, thank you, good eye. That is a possibility and I need to address that situation as well.

I think (hope) I can modify the code June7 supplied to work in that situation. Otherwise, I might need help.

Thanks so much! You guys are great!!!

Tim777 is offline Novice
    Ok, this works but I'm positive this is not the best way to code it. What would be a good way to clean this up?

Code:
    Private Sub cmbSlotID_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    Cancel = True
    End If

If Me.cmbSlotID.Value = "OA" And Not IsNull(DLookup("[SlotID]", "Data", "[SlotID] = 'O1' AND [Start Date]=#" & Me.txtStart_Date & "#")) Then
        MsgBox "Customer Repairs are already scheduled for today. An All Day event cannot be scheduled. "
    Cancel = True
    End If
    If Me.cmbSlotID.Value = "OA" And Not IsNull(DLookup("[SlotID]", "Data", "[SlotID] = 'O2' AND [Start Date]=#" & Me.txtStart_Date & "#")) Then
        MsgBox "Customer Repairs are already scheduled for today. An All Day event cannot be scheduled. "
    Cancel = True
    End If
    If Me.cmbSlotID.Value = "OA" And Not IsNull(DLookup("[SlotID]", "Data", "[SlotID] = 'O3' AND [Start Date]=#" & Me.txtStart_Date & "#")) Then
    Cancel = True
    End If
    If Me.cmbSlotID.Value = "OA" And Not IsNull(DLookup("[SlotID]", "Data", "[SlotID] = 'O4' AND [Start Date]=#" & Me.txtStart_Date & "#")) Then
    Cancel = True
    End If
    If Me.cmbSlotID.Value = "OA" And Not IsNull(DLookup("[SlotID]", "Data", "[SlotID] = 'O5' AND [Start Date]=#" & Me.txtStart_Date & "#")) Then
    Cancel = True
    End If

End Sub

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    So if any 'O' code is present, don't allow record? Use LIKE operator:

If Me.cmbSlotID.Value = "OA" And Not IsNull(DLookup("[SlotID]", "Data", "[SlotID] LIKE 'O*' AND [Start Date]=#" & Me.txtStart_Date & "#")) Then
    Cancel = True
    End If
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Tim777 is offline Novice
    June7, thanks a ton!!! Much better!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.