togo is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Using a front end without connection to BE

So I guess there wasn't clear communication about how this project would work between my boss and I, so I set up a database heavily reliant on a back end. Now I find out that inspectors using this database may be on remote job sites without access to the server and they are expected to be able to use the database in that environment.

So I wonder how difficult it will be to accommodate this, I imagine having to relink all the forms, queries and VBA to connect to local tables instead, or does Access have a more automated way of being able to disconnect itself somehow, or a tip or pointer? Thanks very much.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I had a similar situation. Solution was an all-in-one database distributed to the 'field'. Data entered for a single construction project. At end of season file sent to office and records imported to main db, which in this case is also all-in-one. They decided not to have split design as little data entry/edit done in the 'main' db. Primary purpose was to issue end of season report. This means office and field all use the same database design.

This required that I not use autonumber primary keys in any tables.

Create the all-in-one by deleting all table links then importing tables. As long as names are same, queries and VBA should still work.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

the only thing is I can't control when they take the database out of cell range. The boss wants it so that if they are outside of a 3G zone (there are many remote work sites) they can still produce reports.

I can think of some complicated ways using VBA to unite the two databases that have been separated for a period of time, but this is a wrench in my gears now since the damn things basically done and VBA coding eats up time like crazy.

Maybe it would search first for the BE, determine if it is present or not, and based on that run either an independent database or a BE linked one. Then implement a button maybe to check if the BE is present, and if so append all new results to the BE

is this really what is required?

June7 is offline VIP
    So they need to be able to read the existing data that is in the primary BE on server? Ouch!

Yes, code could probably do that. Not sure what code to detect connection would be like. Maybe an error handler behind a form set to open on default when db opens. If the form can't read records from the table it is bound to, should trigger an error.

I do have code that can modify table links. Review http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...ue-323364.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

thanks, what I need right now, as a mechanical engineering technologist with no formal programming or database training, is an explanation to my boss as to what kind of obstacle this is. As I said, VBA programming is very time consuming.

June7 is offline VIP
    Won't be a trivial exercise.

Here is another code sample that looks for connection and refreshes table links. http://access.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0009.htm

Your procedure could have code that detects if the server is available and if it is, connect to that location and if not connect to local copy of backend. Probably want to download and replace the backend periodically. How big a file is involved?

Another option for code to detect connection might be just to see if a folder on the server can be found:
    If Dir("Drive:\foldername\") = "" Then
    'connection not available

Requires every computer to have same drive mapped. I tested with UNC pathing but didn't work.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.