Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rhewitt is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Sorry about that... usually you can change the extension and it works. I looked it up online and went to the 'Save and Publish' menu to save as a backwards compatible db. It won't let me as I've "Used features that require the current file format."

I haven't gone overboard with anything special in the new version, but the features include basic things like multi-valued fields, and newer sort orders. Not sure if there's any way I can send an older version.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    multi value fields is the problem, that functionality wasn't put in until 2010 and I have no idea why they did. It's a horrible idea to use them. If none of the stuff we're discussing in this thread relies on that multi value field, make a copy of your database, delete any multi value field then try to convert the copy to a prior version.

I'm not using multivalued fields, in fact that does sound ridiculous; isn't that breaking the first rule of DB Normalization?!

When I heard multivalued fields I thought it referred to fields with multiple columns, which I use from time to time.

I honestly don't know which features are keeping my db from backwards compatibility.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You can try one more thing.

Make a copy of your database, take out everything that is not directly related to this problem then try to convert it. hopefully we're talking about one table and one form.

Down to 4 database objects and I'm still getting the same error. Thanks for your persistence; Access doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Here's the long and the short of it. Your original message was that it could not find the ECOSCode field. I've run a test to go to the hyperlink using the same dataset for ECOSCode that your provided both by button clicking and clicking on an image (I used something local to my machine) and your code worked

Code:
    txtURL = "http://ecos.fws.gov/speciesProfile/profile/speciesProfile.action?spcode=" & Me.ECOScode
    DoCmd.Hourglass True
    FollowHyperlink txtURL
    DoCmd.Hourglass False
    So, the problem is that on your form (you said report, but I can only imagine this is a form) does not contain a field NAMED ecoscode, the CONTROL SOURCE may be but it's named something other than ECOSCODE

rhewitt.zip

Here's my example. If the picture is not coming up for you just put in a local jpg.

It actually IS a report. I'd like the links to be generated for every row. The report is the result of a query that get's a parameter from a Form.

Choose a status:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QueryForm.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	9669

Here's the Query behind the Report:

Name:	Query.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	9670

Here's the Report:

Name:	ExampleReport.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	9673

Is it possible to generate the URL for each of those buttons? It's accessing the other information from the query (Scientific Name, Common Name, etc.), why not the ECOScode unless I screwed something up somehow?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    ok now we're getting somewhere. My guess is that you have not put ECOSCODE on your report at all.

Try putting your ECOSCODE in the detail section of your report and setting the VISIBLE property of that field to FALSE (you don't want it to be seen when the report is run). Then do the print preview and click the button.

AHHHHHHHH! I assumed if it was included in the Report's record source that I'd be able to access it.

Thank you so much for your patience!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    you probably could with the right code, but when you use me.[fieldname] it assumes there is an object on the report itself with the name coming after the me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.