Hamm is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Exporting Attachments

Hi All

I have a contacts database and each record has a company logo (BMP) as an attachment. I would like to export a list of companies to word based on a query which is easy enough, the trick is i would like to have the logo inserted as a picture to my word output. Is this possible and if so how do i go about it?

Thanks
    Hamm

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I suspect you would have to do something like this

For each record in your query
    Create a word document
    Send the graphic to the word document(hopefully you are storing the path to the file, not the file itself in your database, pictures make your db bloat very fast)
    Save the word document
    Create an email
    Attach the file just generated to the email
    Send the email
    Next record in your query

Do you just intend to export a word document with the logo in it and nothing more or is it some sort of form letter and you want to add the graphic at the end of the document. If it's just the picture you can likely embed the graphic in the email itself and not have to bother with opening word at all.

Hamm is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi rpeare

thanks for your response

what I am trying to achieve is this:
    I have a table in Access with a list of contacts, each has a picture attachment.
    I want to export selected contacts (based on a query) to a word document as a single table, just like the way access normally exports to word, but with the attachments inserted as pictures.

At the moment it just puts a 1 or 0 in the table if there is an attachment or not.

Is this possible?

Thanks
    Hamm

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I do not work with word often at all so I don't know what you mean by 'normally exports to word' are you doing a mail merge or something like that? if so you'll have to provide a sample database because almost everything I do is printed (either to a printer or to a file) directly from MS access. Just make a copy of your database, instead of the logos in your database put in some of the stock garbage images that come with a windows installation put enough information into your database to show what you're doing, compact/repair the copy, zip it up and upload it here.

Hamm is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Ok, i have made a basic database that can be used to test what I want. I don't know if the attachments will work as i think they link to a folder on my system but you can just put attach any picture for the sake of testing.

When i click on export to word, I get a table in word that looks like this:

ID Company Description Logo
    1 James Co Blah Blah Blah 1
    2 Company 2 Co. 2 Description 1
    3 Company 3 Test test test 1

What I want is the same table but with the pictures inserted in the logo column as images. This way i can copy the text and images and paste them in another document.

Thanks
    Hamm
    Attached Files Attached Files

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Can I ask you a question. Why does it need to go to word, can it just as easily go to a pdf document? if so with your version of access you can export directly to a PDF without needing to involve ms Word at all. I'll take a look at the db itself when I have a chance but I try to keep my applications as simple as possible and if you can create a report in your db that shows the graphic and print/export that to a PDF it seems like it would do what you want rather than involving word (which is very restricted in what you can export directly to it)

Hamm is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I need it in word to be able to copy/paste the descriptions and logos to a range of other documents. The attached DB has a report that shows what i would like to get into word.
    Attached Files Attached Files

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Sorry I can not view access 2007 files most of the time if you can convert it to 2003 I'll have a look.

Hamm is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    i cant convert it to 2003 because it has attachments. i would take them out but obviously they are a requirement of this issue. can you suggest anything else?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.