Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rhewitt is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Building out hyperlink with VBA

Hello All,

I'm trying to build out a hyperlink by concatenating a base hyperlink with a UID stored in a field. I assign the following code to a small symbol so it doesn't take up a ton of space on my report.

Code:
    Private Sub link_Click()
    'On Error GoTo err_link ** Commented this out because it was going to error message every time

txtURL = "http://ecos.fws.gov/speciesProfile/profile/speciesProfile.action?spcode=" & Me.ECOScode

DoCmd.Hourglass True
    FollowHyperlink txtURL
    DoCmd.Hourglass False

'Exit Sub

'err_link:
    '    DoCmd.Hourglass False
    '    MsgBox ("Sorry, there isn't currently a species profile for " & CommonName & "."), vbOKOnly, "Warning!"

End Sub
    I'm getting error message 2465: MS Access can't find the field 'ECOScode' referred to in your expression, but it's there!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ECOScode.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	9611

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Where are you running this code from? Button on report? Is a textbox on report bound to ECOScode field?

Want to provide db for analysis? Follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Review http://allenbrowne.com/func-GoHyperlink.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If you're clicking something on a form make sure the item on the form is actually NAMED (not the CONTROL SOURCE, the NAME) ECOSCODE.

I tested your code with a empty string and it worked fine though I would think you'd want something more like:

Code:
    Private Sub link_Click() 

On Error GoTo err_link '** Commented this out because it was going to error message every time 
    if isnull(ECOSCODE) or trim(ECOSCODE) = "" then
        Msgbox "No Species Profile Available"
    else     txtURL = "http://ecos.fws.gov/speciesProfile/profile/speciesProfile.action?spcode=" & ECOScode      
        DoCmd.Hourglass True     
        FollowHyperlink txtURL     
        DoCmd.Hourglass False 
    endif 

Exit Sub  

err_link: 
    debug.print err.number & ": " & err.description 
    End Sub

@June7 -- Allen Browne is a lifesaver, I've wound up on his blog more than once. That's quite a function he wrote, it's amazing that he's single-handedly more proficient than an entire team of Microsoft programmers.

I received a database from a private company that includes a small icon that is used for the link. The icon appears to be a special character: ="" (copy, paste). Within the access Control Source property it looks like a bullet, or a multiplication operator (the dot not an x).

Here's the image:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icon.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	226 Bytes 
ID:	9614

I like this method because it's easy to tuck a long link into a small icon, and I have multiple links for each row that I want to include.

I did everything the same way as they did in the database they sent, which is why I'm confused that it's not working.

June7 is online now VIP
    Never seen anything like this. If you want to provide dbs for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Would it be possible to do with a button instead? I'd just like the layout to be standard instead of having a random looking 4 digit alphanumberic code as a hyperlink.

June7 is online now VIP
    Yes, code behind button could run your code or adapt Allen Browne's.

What is the '4 digit alphanumberic code'?

Basically the link is comprised of two parts. The 'base' url, and a unique identifier used in the database on the backend of the website. Since the base doesn't change it seems silly to store it hundreds of times. I'd rather generate the full URL with a button 'click' event that concatenates the base URL with the unique ID (which is just a combination of four letters or numbers).

June7 is online now VIP
    So is issue resolved?

No, the vba code I'm using still won't let me access the field that contains the code.

I'm using a button and concatenating the URL & Me.ECOScode, still getting the same error as reported earlier. It doesn't seem like there's a way to tie the button to the value of the ECOScode field. I must be missing something.

June7 is online now VIP
    My questions in post2 still unanswered. Also, looks like we will have to review db to be any further help.

Here's the DB again. Haven't prepared the values for the NatureServe link (again it should be a base URL + UID), but if you help me get the ECOS link working then I should be able to figure out the second.

Thanks,
    Roy
    Attached Files Attached Files

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Can't view 2010, can you convert to a prior version.

.mdb Version:
    Attached Files Attached Files

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You didn't convert it you just put .mdb on the end (and it's still .mdb.accdb). To convert to a prior version click the windows icon in the upper left, hover over the SAVE AS option, there should be 3 - 4 options there, save it in anything prior to 2010 then zip up that converted file and upload it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.