helen21112010 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Searching by field on subform on main form

Hello,
    I have two tables, one for Sales Equipment which has a primary key of SalesGoodsID (auto generated) which has an one to many relationship with a table called Testing (field name relationship exists with is fk_SalesGoodsID). The primary key in table Testing is PATTESTID which is entered by data entry user.
    I have created a form with a subform. However what I want to be able to do is search on the main form for a field on the subform namely PATTESTID and after enterting the PATTESTID have the main form updated with the details relevant to the PATTESTID.
    If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful, I am very new to designing forms on Access.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I think you may have things a little mixed up. It sounds like your MAIN form is based on the table SALES_EQUIPMENT and your subform is based on TESTING. So in other words there can be many TESTING records for each SALES_EQUIPMENT record. If you want to perform a search on the TESTING data, the easiest way to do that is to put a combo box or list box in the SUBFORM, where your user can select one of the TESTING records related to the SALES_EQUIPMENT item. Subform items are only related to items on the MAIN FORM so it should be impossible for you to select something on the SUBFORM that would change records on the MAIN form.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.