EvileDNA is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Import from Excel (was correct forum...)

Hi all, I have a question on Microsoft Access. I do nbot know which forum to put it in so in brief here it is.

I use access on a server on a daily business. I have a large amount of data to input and want to cut and paste on to the server but know so little about the software that I don't know how to do this.
    As Access looks like a front end to make excel more practically interactive I am thinking that there must be a way to access the spreadsheets in the background to cut and paste data and avoid the expensive charges resultant of not doing it ourselves.

Can I do it?
    Access is specific to my industry and I'm reluctant to pass on the name of it which may make answering the query but I'm only asking where to put this thread for the moment

Thanks
    EvileDNA

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Not really clear on your set up. but I'll give you my thoughts......

Is Access installed on a server and everyone accesses it using a shortcut to get to Access? (BAD idea - easiest way to corrupt your dB)
    Do you have an Access FE on your computer and an Access BE on a server?
    Do you have an Access FE on your computer and a database server (SQL Server/SQL Server Express/Oracle/etc) as the BE?

I have a large amount of data to input and want to cut and paste on to the server
    1) Access can link to Excel spreadsheets - then you can run code to import the data.
    2) Or you can run code to directly import (not link) data from Excel spreadsheets - no "cutting and pasting".
    3) You can export the Excel data as a ".CSV" text field and import the data.
    All three allows for data manipulation/ calculations.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Look at TransferSpreadsheet, a common way of importing from Excel.

I'll move your thread to Import/Export, and give it a more appropriate title.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

OK now I know I'm in the right place...

My set up
    We have a company who have designed a software package around Access who host and largely manage our database.
    We have a lot of data to input from Word docs which we have to do one at a time.....there is no other way.
    What would be quicker is to add the data to a spreadsheet as multiple entries of similar info can be added almost simultaneously.

Once the info is on a spreadsheet I want to transfer it over.

The software we use is based in Access and we have a fairly comprehensive front end on it which we see as a web page and we interact with our data through.

There are no menus to access the back end data with. We can only search.
    Soo... I am hoping that given the circumstances that there may be a way to access the spreadsheets in the background using commands or something rather than menus which we don't have.

That should be a little clearer...?

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It sounds like you don't really have the ability to change the front end. Do you have access to the back end, and are you confident of the table(s) your spreadsheet data would go into? If so, I might create a separate Access db that you used to do your importing. It would link to the main Access tables, and either link to the spreadsheet or use a dynamic spreadsheet. Once imported through this db, the existing front end should see the data.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

I don't know how to access the back end.
    The plan is to access it then copy off a spreadsheet template and then input the data.
    I can only use input controls on the site currently.

Your idea to create a access db to run alongside.....would it have to run on the server?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.