LindaRuble is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Conditional formatting text in Outlook email generated from Access DB VBA

Hello,

I can generate an email by clicking on a button on a MS Access Report. In the body of the resulting Outlook email you have formatted text. I have also included an array of values which are displayed in this email but I need to highlight certain items in the array in red based on whether or not another column for that record is checked. Here is an image of the email. Notice that I have circled "ZWO" and that it is red. I need for this to happen programmically. Hope you can help. Thanks Linda
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZWO.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	9412
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZWO.GIF   ZWO.PNG  

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    How are you currently generating this email, having it generate the body then manually changing the color yourself before sending?

I'm assuming you're using the sendobject method to generate the email?

If you are using sendobject I don't think you can do color formatting, you would have to blend html formatting (which I've never done) but here's an example using ASP which is similar to the code you'd use in a vb script

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...matted-Text-Ed

I've never done partial text formatting on email, I usually print reports to pdf's and email those out instead.

most of the stuff I looked at for your question was built around building an HTML based email rather than the sendobject command.

Hello rpeare,

Here is an image of table "RTIClientTracker" in Access with my Data. When what is in column "Client_Division" is associated with column "EMB_OOB" that has a checked value, I would like to have that record appear "RED" in the generated Outlook email. The list of three lettered value come from an Array which in turn comes from a SQL statement/ Querie. When the value in column "EMB_OOB" is not checked, then I would want the associated three letter value in column "Client_Division" to be the default color black.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Table.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	9418

I am currently generating the Outlook email by clicking a button on an Access report using an "On Click" event to trigger the following code:

(Note: I can already make the code red conditionally. I know how to use HTML to do so. I am just having a problem understanding how to access column "EMB_OOB" in my table "RTIClientTracker" and associate it with the appropriate "Client_Division" so that it knows that the clients with the checked values should be colored red in my Outlook email.)

Thanks for your help

Linda

************************************************** *************************************************

Private Sub Released_Click()
    Dim mess_body As String
    Dim appOutLook As Outlook.Application
    'Dim appOutLook As Object
    Dim MailOutLook As Outlook.MailItem
    'Dim MailOutLook As Object
    Set appOutLook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    Set MailOutLook = appOutLook.CreateItem(olMailItem)

'************************************************* ****

Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

Dim Count As Integer
    Dim AnArray()
    Dim i As Long
    Dim ABCString As String
    ' Set up the database and query connections
    Set db = CurrentDb()
    Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("ClientDiv-RTI")
    Count = 0
    ReDim Preserve AnArray(0)

' Fill the array.
    Do Until rs.EOF
    ' Fill the array row with the last name.
    ' NOTE: In version 2.0, type a space in [Last Name].
    AnArray(Count) = rs![ABC]
    ' Increase the number of elements in the array
    ' by one to accommodate the next record.
    ReDim Preserve AnArray(UBound(AnArray) + 1)
    Count = Count + 1
    rs.MoveNext
    Loop
    ' Remove the remaining empty array row.
    ReDim Preserve AnArray(UBound(AnArray) - 1)
    rs.Close
    ' View the array contents.
    For i = 0 To Count - 1
    If [i] = Count - 1 Then
    ABCString = ABCString + AnArray(i)
    Else
    ABCString = ABCString + AnArray(i) & ","
    End If
    Next i

Dim db2 As DAO.Database
    Dim rs2 As DAO.Recordset

Dim Count2 As Integer
    Dim AnArray2()
    Dim ii As Long
    Dim ABCString2 As String
    ' Set up the database and query connections
    Set db2 = CurrentDb()
    Set rs2 = db2.OpenRecordset("ClientDiv-EMCARE")
    Count = 0
    ReDim Preserve AnArray2(0)

' Fill the array.
    Do Until rs2.EOF
    ' Fill the array row with the last name.
    ' NOTE: In version 2.0, type a space in [Last Name].
    AnArray2(Count2) = rs2![ABC2]
    ' Increase the number of elements in the array
    ' by one to accommodate the next record.
    ReDim Preserve AnArray2(UBound(AnArray2) + 1)
    Count2 = Count2 + 1
    rs2.MoveNext
    Loop
    ' Remove the remaining empty array row.
    ReDim Preserve AnArray2(UBound(AnArray2) - 1)
    rs2.Close
    ' View the array contents.
    For ii = 0 To Count2 - 1
    If [ii] = Count2 - 1 Then
    ABCString2 = ABCString2 + "<strong><font color=""red"">" & AnArray2(ii) & "</font></strong>"
    Else
    ABCString2 = ABCString2 + AnArray2(ii) & ","
    End If
    Next ii

With MailOutLook
    'MailOutLook.BodyFormat = olFormatRichText
    MailOutLook.BodyFormat = olFormatHTML
    'MailOutLook.To = "Hiser, Kristina; Curran, Bruce; Dugan, Sharon; Durkin, Jill; Eccles, Keely; Chapman, Ashley; Foster, Mike; Jenkins, Renaye; Marie, Pamela; McColgan, Susan; Naidoo, Gloria; Ratton, Steve; Reagan, Sheryl; Washington, Kathy; Sanchez, Sherry; Scoggins, Andy; Scroggins, Danielle; Tarone, Stacy; Toth, Kimberly; Lehnortt, Sue; Teibowei, Ebi; Chayra, Melinda; Ruedas, Yolanda; Ribordy, Brook; Levasseur, Maxine; Meyers, Zackery; Beech, Paz Liduvina; Borges, Crystal; Pearson, Christopher; Smith, Shawna; Marrs, Scott; Jezek, John; Garcia, Flavio; Hargis, Shannon; Mitchell, Michelle"
    'MailOutLook.CC = "Haag, Michele; Martin, Randy; Reyes, Jane; RTI Application Support; Tausch, Jane; Barefoot, Christine; Briggs, Joe; Dowd, Emily; Gaboda, Stephanie; Gahm, Darrell; Hartner, Robert; Henry, Colleen; Hunter, Grant; Johnston, Stephan; Lorinc, Chris; McGilvery, Dorothy; McMeekin, Daniel; Sarnak, Daniel; Dubois, Linda; Manderack, Jonathan; Mower, Cara; Helwig, Ted; Palish, Kim; Poole, Jamie; Stine, Kurt; Antal, Betsy; Dashiell, Dorothea; Grivner, Edward; Tang, Wing; Kerrigan, Sheila; RTI Practice Management Reporting; Coppola, Greg; Tuma, Michelle; Ruble, Linda; Keels, Tom; Kline, Michael"
    MailOutLook.Subject = " RELEASED AND CORRECTED " & Format(Now, "mm/dd/yyyy")
    '.HTMLBody = Me.Mess_Text
    MailOutLook.HTMLBody = "<HTML><BODY>" & _
    "<strong><font face=""Arial"" size=""3"" color=""black"">" & "ALL EMCARE CLIENTS ARE AVAILABLE IN EMBILLZ THROUGH " & " " & UCase(Format(DateAdd("m", -1, Date), "mmmm yyyy")) & " FISCAL PERIOD." & "</font></strong><BR/><BR/>" & _
    "<strong><font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""black"">" & " EMCARE " & " " & UCase(Format(DateAdd("m", -1, Date), "mmmm yyyy")) & " available in the system: " & "</font></strong>" & _
    "<font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""black"">" & ABCString2 & "</font><BR/><BR/>" & _
    "<strong><font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""black"">" & " RTI CLIENTS: " & "</font></strong>" & _
    "<font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""black"">" & ABCString & "</font><BR/><BR/>" & _
    "<strong><font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""black"">" & " (BOLD = OUT OF BALANCE) " & "</font></strong>" & "<strong><font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""red"">" & "(RED = CORRECTED) " & "</font></strong><BR/><BR/>" & _
    "<strong><u><font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""black"">" & " OUT OF BALANCE CLIENTS (" & Format(DateAdd("m", -1, Date), "mm/yy") & " DOS): " & "</font></u></strong>" & _
    "</BODY></HTML>"

'.Send
    MailOutLook.Display
    End With
    'MsgBox MailOutLook.Body
    Exit Sub
    email_error:
    MsgBox "An error was encountered." & vbCrLf & "The error message is: " & Err.Description
    Resume Error_out
    Error_out:
    End Sub

************************************************** ************************************************** **

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ok so this is cycling through a query named ClientDiv-RTI, extracting the field [ABC] (what is this in reality, a text field, the table's primary key? what? I assume it's just a straight text value?), adding that [ABC] Value to an array, then building a string out of the contents of that array. (by the way you don't need to build an array to do this) Then you move on to do a very similar thing with a query named ClientDiv-EMCare. I have the same set of questions as the previous recordset.

Are these both subsets of the RTIClientTracker table? you just have the separated in a Query object? Or do those queries you're using as recordsets reference other tables as well? Or are you trying to compare the same array item on two different tables. Let me give you an example of just cycling through your RTIClientTracker table and building the string. Then we can go from there:

These are the things I'm assuming.
    1. You want to create a section of your report for each Division
    2. You want to create an HTML string that doesn't do anything special with text if the EMB_OOB field is ANYTHING BUT Yes (-1) AND uses the formatting code to shade it red if EMB_OOB IS Yes (-1)

Code:
    Dim db As Database
    Dim rst_Divs As Recordset
    Dim rst_ClDiv As Recordset
    Dim sSQL As String
    Dim sDivReg As String
    Dim sClDiv As String
    Dim iEMB As Integer
    Dim OutputString As String

Set db = CurrentDb
    sSQL = "SELECT Division_Region FROM RTIClientTracker GROUP BY Division_Region ORDER BY Division_Region"

Set rst_Divs = db.OpenRecordset(sSQL)
    rst_Divs.MoveFirst

Do While rst_Divs.EOF <> True
        sDivReg = rst_Divs.Fields("Division_Region")

sSQL = "SELECT Client_Division, EMB_OOB FROM RTIClientTracker WHERE (Division_Region = '" & sDivReg & "')"
        Set rst_ClDiv = db.OpenRecordset(sSQL)
        rst_ClDiv.MoveFirst

Do While rst_ClDiv.EOF <> True
            sClDiv = rst_ClDiv.Fields("Client_Division")
            iEMB = rst_ClDiv.Fields("EMB_OOB")
            If iEMB = -1 Then
                OutputString = OutputString & "<strong><font color=""red"">" & sClDiv & "," & "</font></strong>"
            Else
                OutputString = OutputString & sClDiv & ","
            End If
            rst_ClDiv.MoveNext
        Loop
    Debug.Print OutputString
    OutputString = ""

rst_ClDiv.Close
        rst_Divs.MoveNext
    Loop
    rst_Divs.Close
    it's not exactly what you want but without knowing the contents of the two queries you're referencing this is the best I can do. I couldn't find the reference you're using for the outlook objects easily (I've forgotten the correct name) but let me know if this helps.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ok I found the reference an this is what I did for code:

Code:
    Dim db As Database
    Dim sSQL As String
    Dim sDivReg As String
    Dim sClDiv As String
    Dim iEMB As Integer
    Dim mess_body As String

Set db = CurrentDb
    sSQL = "SELECT Division_Region FROM RTIClientTracker GROUP BY Division_Region ORDER BY Division_Region"

rst_Divs.MoveFirst

sSQL = "SELECT Client_Division, EMB_OOB FROM RTIClientTracker WHERE (Division_Region = '" & sDivReg & "')"
        rst_ClDiv.MoveFirst

OutputString = OutputString & "Client Division " & sDivReg & "<BR/><BR/>"
            If iEMB = -1 Then
                OutputString = OutputString & "<strong><font color=""red"">" & sClDiv & "," & "</font></strong>"
            Else
            End If
            rst_ClDiv.MoveNext
        Loop

Debug.Print OutputString
        OutputString = OutputString & "<BR/><BR/>"
        rst_ClDiv.Close
        rst_Divs.MoveNext
    Loop
    rst_Divs.Close

OutputString = OutputString & "CLOSING COMMENTS GO HERE"

With MailOutLook
        MailOutLook.To = "Tester@Tester.com"
        MailOutLook.CC = "Tester2@tester.com"
        MailOutLook.HTMLBody = "<HTML><BODY>" & OutputString & "<HTML><BODY>"
        MailOutLook.Display
    End With
    You can see that you can build the body of the message as you go rather than trying to compile everything into arrays and build it afterward.

More Conditional Formatting and Dealing with NULL values

Hello rpeare,

First of all I would like to thank you for your help with my conditional formatting question. The code that you gave me provided me with the information I needed to change the color of the text in my Outlook email when I clicked a button on my Access report.

Now I have another issue (It never ends). I want to formatt the same set of text for also another condition as well. In other words I want Clients who have OOBs (Out Of Balances) in bolded Black font and corrected Clients to show up as bolded Red font. The rest of the clients will show as a regular weight font.

I am having issues with what appears in red in my code. I want to satisfy two conditions, I want to check to see if the check box is checked and to see if the OOB_FIXED column is filled or not. iEMB = -1 And sOOBFix Is Not Null . If the OOB_FIXED column is filled with a date and not NULL and the EMB_OOB column is checked, I want the text to appear bold and red in the Outlook Email.

Note: I have removed the SQL statements from the VBA code since it references an Access Query Objects instead. I will include it below for your information. It all works.

Thanks again for your help!

Linda

This is ClientDiv-EMCARE

SELECT DISTINCT (Mid(ClientDiv.Client_Division,1,3)) AS ABC2, RTIClientTracker.EMB_OOB, RTIClientTracker.OOB_Fixed
    FROM ClientDiv INNER JOIN RTIClientTracker ON ClientDiv.ID = RTIClientTracker.Client_Division
    WHERE (((RTIClientTracker.Division_Region)='West') OR ((RTIClientTracker.Division_Region)='EPS') OR ((RTIClientTracker.Division_Region)='North') OR ((RTIClientTracker.Division_Region)='South')) AND ((RTIClientTracker.Cut)>=Date()-1)
    ORDER BY (Mid(ClientDiv.Client_Division,1,3));

This is ClientDiv-RTI

SELECT DISTINCT (Mid(ClientDiv.Client_Division,1,3)) AS ABC, RTIClientTracker.EMB_OOB, RTIClientTracker.OOB_Fixed
    FROM ClientDiv INNER JOIN RTIClientTracker ON ClientDiv.ID = RTIClientTracker.Client_Division
    WHERE (((RTIClientTracker.Division_Region)='RTI') AND ((RTIClientTracker.Cut)>=Date()-1))
    ORDER BY (Mid(ClientDiv.Client_Division,1,3));

Here is My reworked code:

************************************************** ***********************************

Private Sub Released_Click()
    Dim db As Database
    Dim rst_ClDiv2 As Recordset
    Dim sClDiv As String
    Dim sClDiv2 As String
    Dim iEMB As Integer
    Dim iEMB2 As Integer
    Dim sOOBFix As Variant
    Dim sOOBFix2 As Variant
    Dim Ns As String
    Dim OutputString1 As String
    Dim OutputString2 As String
    Dim mess_body As String
    Set db = CurrentDb

'************************************************* ***************************************
    Set rst_ClDiv = db.OpenRecordset("ClientDiv-EMCARE")
    rst_ClDiv.MoveFirst

sClDiv = rst_ClDiv.Fields("ABC2")
    sOOBFix = rst_ClDiv.Fields("OOB_Fixed")
    If iEMB = -1 Then 'OUT OF BALANCE : BLACK
    OutputString1 = OutputString1 & "<strong><font color=""black"">" & sClDiv & "</font></strong>" & ", "
    ElseIf iEMB = -1 And sOOBFix Is Not Null Then 'BALANCED : RED
    OutputString1 = OutputString1 & "<strong><font color=""Red"">" & sClDiv & "</font></strong>" & ", "
    Else
    OutputString1 = OutputString1 & sClDiv & ", "
    End If

rst_ClDiv.MoveNext
    Loop
    Debug.Print OutputString1
    rst_ClDiv.Close

'************************************************* ***************************************

Set rst_ClDiv2 = db.OpenRecordset("ClientDiv-RTI")
    rst_ClDiv2.MoveFirst

Do While rst_ClDiv2.EOF <> True
    sClDiv2 = rst_ClDiv2.Fields("ABC")
    iEMB2 = rst_ClDiv2.Fields("EMB_OOB")
    sOOBFix2 = Nz(rst_ClDiv2.Fields("OOB_Fixed"), 0)
    If iEMB2 = -1 Then
    OutputString2 = OutputString2 & "<strong><font color=""black"">" & sClDiv2 & "</font></strong>" & ", "
    Else
    OutputString2 = OutputString2 & sClDiv2 & ", "
    End If
    rst_ClDiv2.MoveNext
    Loop
    Debug.Print OutputString2
    rst_ClDiv2.Close

With MailOutLook
    'MailOutLook.To = "Hiser, Kristina; Curran, Bruce; Dugan, Sharon; Durkin, Jill; Eccles, Keely; Chapman, Ashley; Foster, Mike; Jenkins, Renaye; Marie, Pamela; McColgan, Susan; Naidoo, Gloria; Ratton, Steve; Reagan, Sheryl; Washington, Kathy; Sanchez, Sherry; Scoggins, Andy; Scroggins, Danielle; Tarone, Stacy; Toth, Kimberly; Lehnortt, Sue; Teibowei, Ebi; Chayra, Melinda; Ruedas, Yolanda; Ribordy, Brook; Levasseur, Maxine; Meyers, Zackery; Beech, Paz Liduvina; Borges, Crystal; Pearson, Christopher; Smith, Shawna; Marrs, Scott; Jezek, John; Garcia, Flavio; Hargis, Shannon; Mitchell, Michelle"
    'MailOutLook.CC = "Haag, Michele; Martin, Randy; Reyes, Jane; RTI Application Support; Tausch, Jane; Barefoot, Christine; Briggs, Joe; Dowd, Emily; Gaboda, Stephanie; Gahm, Darrell; Hartner, Robert; Henry, Colleen; Hunter, Grant; Johnston, Stephan; Lorinc, Chris; McGilvery, Dorothy; McMeekin, Daniel; Sarnak, Daniel; Dubois, Linda; Manderack, Jonathan; Mower, Cara; Helwig, Ted; Palish, Kim; Poole, Jamie; Stine, Kurt; Antal, Betsy; Dashiell, Dorothea; Grivner, Edward; Tang, Wing; Kerrigan, Sheila; RTI Practice Management Reporting; Coppola, Greg; Tuma, Michelle; Ruble, Linda; Keels, Tom; Kline, Michael"
    MailOutLook.HTMLBody = "<HTML><BODY>" & _
    "<strong><font face=""Arial"" size=""3"" color=""black"">" & "ALL EMCARE CLIENTS ARE AVAILABLE IN EMBILLZ THROUGH " & " " & UCase(Format(DateAdd("m", -1, Date), "mmmm yyyy")) & " FISCAL PERIOD." & "</font></strong><BR/><BR/>" & _
    "<strong><font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""black"">" & " EMCARE " & " " & UCase(Format(DateAdd("m", -1, Date), "mmmm yyyy")) & " available in the system: " & "</font></strong>" & _
    "<font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""black"">" & OutputString1 & "</font><BR/><BR/>" & _
    "<strong><font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""black"">" & " RTI CLIENTS: " & "</font></strong>" & _
    "<font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""black"">" & OutputString2 & "</font><BR/><BR/>" & _
    "<strong><font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""black"">" & " (BOLD = OUT OF BALANCE) " & "</font></strong>" & "<strong><font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""red"">" & "(RED = CORRECTED) " & "</font></strong><BR/><BR/>" & _
    "<strong><u><font face=""Arial"" size=""2"" color=""black"">" & " OUT OF BALANCE CLIENTS (" & Format(DateAdd("m", -1, Date), "mm/yy") & " DOS): " & "</font></u></strong>" & _
    "</BODY></HTML>"

MailOutLook.Display
    End With

End Sub

************************************************** ***************************************

Quote Originally Posted by rpeare View Post
    Ok I found the reference an this is what I did for code:

Code:
    Dim db As Database
    Dim sSQL As String
    Dim sDivReg As String
    Dim sClDiv As String
    Dim iEMB As Integer
    Dim mess_body As String

Set db = CurrentDb

rst_Divs.MoveFirst

rst_ClDiv.MoveFirst

OutputString = OutputString & "Client Division " & sDivReg & "<BR/><BR/>"
            If iEMB = -1 Then
            Else
            End If
            rst_ClDiv.MoveNext
        Loop

Debug.Print OutputString
        OutputString = OutputString & "<BR/><BR/>"
        rst_ClDiv.Close
        rst_Divs.MoveNext
    Loop
    rst_Divs.Close

OutputString = OutputString & "CLOSING COMMENTS GO HERE"

With MailOutLook
        MailOutLook.To = "Tester@Tester.com"
        MailOutLook.CC = "Tester2@tester.com"
        MailOutLook.HTMLBody = "<HTML><BODY>" & OutputString & "<HTML><BODY>"
        MailOutLook.Display
    End With
    You can see that you can build the body of the message as you go rather than trying to compile everything into arrays and build it afterward.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You are checking for three conditions

Code:
    If iEMB = -1 Then  'OUT OF BALANCE : BLACK
                         OutputString1 = OutputString1 &  "<strong><font color=""black"">" & sClDiv &  "</font></strong>" & ", "
                ElseIf iEMB = -1 And sOOBFix Is Not Null Then  'BALANCED : RED
                         OutputString1 = OutputString1 &  "<strong><font color=""Red"">" & sClDiv &  "</font></strong>" & ", "
                Else
                        'Unmatched situation code here
                End If

Your code is only testing for two possibilities and they're not mutually exclusive, in other words nothing will ever meet your

Elseif iemb = -1 and soobfix is not null because everything with the iemb being -1 will be picked up in the first portion of your IF string

Instead you'd want something like:

Code:
    If iEMB = -1 AND isnull(soobfix) Then  'OUT OF BALANCE BOLD BLACK
                         OutputString1 = OutputString1 &  "<strong><font color=""black"">" & sClDiv &  "</font></strong>" & ", "
                ElseIf iEMB = -1 And Not Isnull(sOOBFix) Then  'BALANCED BOLD RED
                         OutputString1 = OutputString1 &  "<strong><font color=""Red"">" & sClDiv &  "</font></strong>" & ", "
                Else 'OTHERWISE : Normal Text
                         outputstring1 = outputstring1 & scldiv & ","
                End If

This is saying

if iEMB is True or -1 and sOOBFix is null make your text bold black
    if iEMB is True or -1 and sOOBFix is NOT null make your text bold red
    Otherwise, just use normal text.

Hello rpeare,

Thank you again for your help. I tried your code and though it still did not work it just needed a little tweeking and rearranging.

Here is what finally worked for me:

If Not IsNull(sOOBFix) Then 'BALANCED BOLD RED
    OutputString1 = OutputString1 & "<strong><font color=""Red"">" & sClDiv & "</font></strong>" & ", "
    ElseIf iEMB = -1 And IsNull(sOOBFix) Then 'OUT OF BALANCE : BLACK
    OutputString1 = OutputString1 & "<strong><font color=""black"">" & sClDiv & "</font></strong>" & ", "
    Else
    OutputString1 = OutputString1 & sClDiv & ", "
    End If

Again thanks a million!

Linda

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.