sauko is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Unhappy Vlookup in Access query, if values in table a exists in one or more places in table b

Hi,

What I am trying to do is quite simple, in excel at least so I have attached an Excel file where I show what I want to happen in access.
    Here is a short explaination:

Field 1: Some of the (unique)values of a table called DDT_code will appear on one or several places in table DDT_Group_code, if it does appear on one or more places I want to mark it as "Yes" or something similar. Because then I know that it is a group mom.

Field 2: If the value of Field 1 is "Yes" then show the value of DDT_code (that means that DDT_Group_code for will always be blank), if the value of DDT_Group_Code and Field 1 is Blank the show the value of Sok_DDT.

Hmm this is quite dificult to explain even though it shouldnt be that difficult.
    I have included an excel file which shows how the data flow should be, it is so easy to do in excel. I think the file should make it clear.

The thing is that I want to exlude All files (DDT_code) that is Not a Mom neither does it Have a Mom, In other words the files where both DDT_Group_code and then newly made field 1 is empty.

Thank you for your support, I am going crazy that I cant figure this one out.

Queries should not be a problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The function you could use in access is the dlookup function which seems to be similar to vlookup, a word of warning though, dlookup functions are incredibly inefficient in queries and should not be used. as I understand it your starting dataset (in your existing query) consists of the left three rows. If There is a value in the third column [DDT Code] you want to see if that same code has any matching value anywhere in your field [DDT_Group_Code], if it does, put a "YES" in your fourth column otherwise leave it blank. You can only do this with a dlookup but I would strongly suggest you not do that. I suspect you can get around this using queries and subqueries but without an example of your database I can't really think of a way to tell you to proceed because I'm only seeing an example output of your query but now how the things are actually related.

sauko is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thank you for your quick response. After dinner and a beer I realized I was being quite stupid. Thank you for the explaination regarding dlookup, I have been trying it out a bit but couldnt get it to work.
    I have not joined tables in a subquery and sorted out the values where two of the fields are similar code and group code. Then in the main query I use the subquery with the sorted out values and added a new field where I just added the two fields together with & since there will never be a possibility for both of the fields to be populated at the same time only the final mother group will be shown.
    Hmm might not make much sense since I had a beer and Im really happy but now it works

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.