hammer187 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Exclamation Autopopulate Field according to Textbox in same Form from 2 Tables

Here is my situation. I have a login form that inputs the user for ID and Name. I have 2 tables that has the user credentials. One table is coaches and one is for hourly. I want to autopopulate the Name text box in my form from the ID text box. User A is a coach and User B is an hourly. I want User A to input their ID in the ID text box and press a button to check the ID, then I want it to autopopulate the Name of User A from the CoachTable into the Name text box on my form. User B is an hourly, I want it to do the same thing as User A, but look into the HourlyTable. Here is my code and I know it doesn't work just my thoughts on how to do it.

Code:
    Private Sub Command19_Click()
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Dim txtID As Variant
    txtID = Forms![LoginForm2]![txtEmployeeID]
    txtName = Forms![LoginForm2]![Text13]
    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM HourlyTable WHERE EmployeeID = '" & txtID & "'", dbOpenDynaset)
    Set rs1 = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM CoachTable WHERE EmployeeID = '" & txtID & "'", dbOpenDynaset)

Forms![LoginForm2]![Text13].SetFocus
     txtName = DLookup("EmployeeID", "HourlyTable", "EmployeeID = '" & txtID & "' AND CoachName='" & txtName & "'")
     txtName = DLookup("EmployeeID", "CoachTable", "EmployeeID = '" & txtID & "' AND CoachName='" & txtName & "'")
    End Sub

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    What isn't working? Is there error message, wrong results, nothing happens?

Why do you open recordsets?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Like I said in my initial post, I know this code doesn't work. I'm not sure if I even need recordsets or not. If I do, I didn't declare rs1. There isn't code to get the Name from the table and place it in the name field on my form, it just checks it. There isn't code to distingush which table to look at for which user. So to answer your question, yes there are errors and probably wrong results even if I do get past the errors. I just wrote this down to get my mind thinking on how to get it done. But I got stopped on how to determine which table to look into for which user.

This is what I have got so far. It only does the first table though, I can't get it to do the next table.

Code:
    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM CoachTable WHERE EmployeeID = '" & txtID & "'", dbOpenDynaset)
     If rs.EOF Then
     txtName = DLookup("CoachName", "HourlyTable", "EmployeeID='" & txtID & "'")
     MsgBox txtName
    Else
    txtName = DLookup("CoachName", "CoachTable", "EmployeeID='" & txtID & "'")
    MsgBox txtName
    End If
    End Sub
    If I input an hourly ID, it displays the name in the msgbox, if I input a coach ID, it does a Null error for txtName

I have inserted this

Code:
        Forms![LoginForm2]![Text13] = txtName
    below my if statement and below my else statement, that puts the Name into my Name box.

I figured out that I can do it if I use 2 buttons one per table. But I dont want to use 2 buttons. I need to find a way to join the buttons.

Here is one of my button codes. It doesn't do the else statement. Something is wrong with the rs.eof part of my if statement.

Code:

Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM CoachTable WHERE EmployeeID = '" & txtID & "'", dbOpenDynaset)
     If rs.EOF Then
     txtName = DLookup("CoachName", "HourlyTable", "EmployeeID='" & txtID & "'")
    Else
    txtName = DLookup("CoachName", "CoachTable", "EmployeeID='" & txtID & "'")
    End If
    End Sub

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Try populating txtID before opening recordset. EmployeeID is a text datatype field?

I really don't understand what you are trying to do. You want to verify if CoachName is in CoachTable and if not then look for it in HourlyTable? What happens if it is not in either?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.