ttocsmi is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Tricky SQL Question

I have an Access database for which I'm trying to write a query based on a request from the users.

I have a table of data related to artwork, with three columns: ArtworkId, DescriptionText, and CalloutNumber. Each piece of artwork can have more than one DescriptionText value.

What would be a good way to write an SQL query to return, for example, all ArtworkId records having both DescriptionText = "Start Switch" and DescriptionText = "Stop Switch" records?

ArtworkID / DescriptionText
    123 / Motor
    234 / Fuse
    234 / Start Switch
    456 / Stop Switch
    789 / Start Switch
    789 / Stop Switch
    789 / Light

Result = ArtworkID 789

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    This is tricky because requires considering data of related records.

Will an ArtworkID ever have multiple Start or multiple Stop?

SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE DCount("ArtworkID","tablename","DescriptionText Like '*Switch*' AND ArtworkID=" & [ArtworkID])>1;
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jopap is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    select ArtworkID from tbldata where ArtworkId in (Select ArtworkId from tbldata where descriptiontext like *switch group by artworkId having count(*) > 1)

This query assumes you can have only one start and one stop switch for a single ArtworkId

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jopap View Post
    select ArtworkID from tbldata where ArtworkId in (Select ArtworkId from tbldata where descriptiontext like *switch group by artworkId having count(*) > 1)

This query assumes you can have only one start and one stop switch for a single ArtworkId

No go, even after modifying to this (I changed the field names):
    select artboardnumber from art_callout_table where artboardnumber in (Select artboardnumber from art_callout_table where lrutext like '%switch%' group by artboardnumber having count(*) > 1)

I'd like to search for substrings within the DescriptionText field (not always the entire string) such as 'switch', 'motor', or 'ECU'.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Tricky, indeed. There could be multiple occurrences of the same word, and each search term may be a substring of the entire DescriptionText field.

I have SQL working for 2 x search terms; I'm going to try it with 3+ terms and some NOTs for good measure...

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocsmi View Post
    I have an Access database for which I'm trying to write a query based on a request from the users.

I have a table of data related to artwork, with three columns: ArtworkId, DescriptionText, and CalloutNumber. Each piece of artwork can have more than one DescriptionText value.

What would be a good way to write an SQL query to return, for example, all ArtworkId records having both DescriptionText = "Start Switch" and DescriptionText = "Stop Switch" records?

ArtworkID / DescriptionText
    123 / Motor
    234 / Fuse
    234 / Start Switch
    456 / Stop Switch
    789 / Start Switch
    789 / Stop Switch
    789 / Light

Result = ArtworkID 789

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Surely there's an easier way, but this is how I got it to work (I've updated the table and field names):

SELECT * FROM art_callout_table
    WHERE artboardnumber IN (
    SELECT artboardnumber FROM art_callout_table
    WHERE artboardnumber IN (
    SELECT artboardnumber FROM art_callout_table
    WHERE lrutext LIKE "%start%")
    AND lrutext LIKE "%light%")
    AND lrutext LIKE "%switch%";

What confused me repeatedly during development, and what confused the users (they were expecting the search to work one way & I was assuming it to work another), is that there are two distinct search methodologies:

1) Using the built-in Access table filtering commands (or a basic SELECT FROM WHERE statement) to narrow down a table of description text values. Repeated filters can be applied to narrow the list further, but if you're looking for "switch" and "start", all you'll get is individual description text records having both values, eg "big red starting switch" or "switch start light" but not "green switch". Not terribly helpful.

2) Use a different search technique to return all ArtworkID values which have "switch" or "start" or "light" strings within their DescriptionText fields, eg don't look just for DescriptionText records similar to "switch start light blinker".

I thought this was going to be much easier than it turned out to be. Thanks all for your help.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    If you have 3 terms try

Code:
    SELECT artboardnumber
    FROM art_callout_table
    WHERE 
    lrutext LIKE "*" & [EnterWord1] &"*")  AND
    lrutext LIKE "*" & [EnterWord2] &"*")  AND
    lrutext LIKE "*" & [EnterWord3] &"*") ;

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    In my post#2, I was thinking you wanted only the records where ArtworkID had more than occurence of 'Switch'. If you want ALL records with 'Switch' in the description, use wildcard.

SELECT * FROM art_callout_table WHERE lrutext Like '*Switch*';

If you want to further filter for only the 'start' or 'stop' records, then use orange's suggestion for multiple criteria. Are 3 enough for your needs? Review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-50.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.