Yogibear is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

New record does not allow for data entry in fields related to one form

I created a query in order to create a form for data entry.

When I enter a new record on the form, I am unable to enter data into the fields connected to one of the tables.

No going off for me, which is not a surprise.

Thank you in advance for helping me out. I am seriously struggling with Access even after training and have found these forums to be my only resource for help.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Does the form RecordSource include join of tables? The resulting recordset is not editable, at least for some fields. Quite possibly you should be using a form/subform arrangement for data entry. We need to know more about your data structure. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

What training?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Does the form RecordSource include join of tables? The resulting recordset is not editable, at least for some fields. Quite possibly you should be using a form/subform arrangement for data entry. We need to know more about your data structure. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

What training?
    Thank you for your reply --- I don't know what happened, but the fields became active and I was able to input data. I have to research subforms, I know nothing about them and I have a feeling that I may need to use a subform for my situation. I would have loved to have shared the databse with you, but I don't know how to remove confidential information.

I received training from a national company that does online live training. I would have rather received personal training using my own database, I pushed for that but was blocked for budget reasons. I can't tell you how much I don't understand in Access and I am a smart person in regular life.

June7 is offline VIP
    Review
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010098674.aspx

Remove confidential information - usually phone numbers, addresses, emails - either delete the data from the fields or delete the fields altogether.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

thank you -- and taking you up on your offer to review database

I was able to fix the problem that initiated this thread.

However, I actually lose sleep at night because I feel my database is a mess. I would love to know if your offer still stands to review my database, it is attached (and has been crazily modified to ensure confidentiality).

My database contains information on our alumni.

I use the forms to manually enter new alumni information. In the future, I need to learn how to upload from Excel as the information is stored in excel. I still need to make another subform for "undergraduate" (records institution where undergraduate degree was earned, yr, etc.) fields.

I have created a tblEmp but am afraid to remove the related fields from the tblBio. tblBio is the original table, I inherited this as a flat database and am trying to normalize data.

If you have any suggestions, I would be more than grateful to hear them.

I am trying to get my boss to hire a consultant to come in for one day to go over things with me, but hasn't happened yet.

thank you for at least listening! I am finding these forums to be my only source of help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Access can link to or import from Excel workbook, if the sheet data structure is simple enough. Check out the Import/Export wizard.

So far, don't see much reason to split up the table. Sure, there are bunch of empty fields but that can be lived with (although every address should have a ZIP). It is a balancing act between normalization and ease of data entry/output.

One attribute you might want to modify is Research Area. It is a text field limited to 255 characters - a memo field would allow longer entries.

Also, if there is a lot of repetition of same employer info, could have a table of Employers, but I doubt this is the case

Did you look at the Contacts template database? It has only two tables and one of them (Settings) could probably be eliminated.

Access can link to or import from Excel workbook, if the sheet data structure is simple enough. Check out the Import/Export wizard.

So far, don't see much reason to split up the table. I agree, but there is a one-to-many employer relationship. AND we are hoping to also store publications (a nightmare....) which will have a "many-to-one" relationship.

Sure, there are bunch of empty fields but that can be lived with (although every address should have a ZIP, .working on it, I inherited this lovely database!). It is a balancing act between normalization and ease of data entry/output. I need ease of data entry.

One attribute you might want to modify is Research Area. It is a text field limited to 255 characters - a memo field would allow longer entries. Thanks for that tip, struggling with text vs. memo.

Also, if there is a lot of repetition of same employer info, could have a table of Employers, but I doubt this is the case. Impossible to have a table of employers, each record is unique. Our alumni work anywhere and everywhere AND we never have full employment info to be able to create a separate employment table. You're doubt was correct!

Did you look at the Contacts template database? It has only two tables and one of them (Settings) could probably be eliminated.[/QUOTE] Not sure what you mean just yet, but I will definately take a look.

Thank you for helping me out, I feel much better now and can proceed feeling more knowledgeable!!

June7 is offline VIP
    When you open Access application and create a new file, Access offers an assortment of template databases to choose from. Contacts is one of them.

If you want to allow any number of employers per individual, will need a child table for employement records. This will be a one-to-many relationship and might want a form/subform arrangement for data entry. Same for publications.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.